1301 Gervais Street
Columbia, South Carolina 29201-3326T: 803.256.3200
- Defense of employment litigation
- Affirmative Action planning and audit defense
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina, 1994
- District of Columbia, 1996
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina, 1997
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1997
University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
- J.D., 1994
- Law Review; Order of Wig & Robe; AmJur Award, Constitutional Law II
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- B.A., Psychology, Minor in Sociology, 1991
- Psychology Honor Society; Sigma Kappa Sorority
Seminars & Presentations
- Employment Law Lunch and Learn Series for Government Contractors
- Jacksonville Breakfast Briefing: OFCCP Issues Final Regulations and Other New Developments
- WEBINAR: OFCCP Issues Final Regulations!
- WEBINAR: Federal Contractors' Guide to Understanding the OFCCP's Compensation Conundrum
"The law is whatever is boldly asserted and plausibly maintained."
--Aaron Burr, U.S. Politician
"You know, the courts may not be working any more, but as long as everyone is videotaping everyone else, justice will be done."
Cara Crotty is a partner who has defended employers in cases involving every aspect of the employment relationship, including claims such as sexual, racial, age, and disability harassment; discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, and national origin; retaliation; and various other federal and state law claims. Cara Crotty also represents federal contractors covered by Executive Order 11246 in their affirmative action compliance obligations by assisting with Plan preparation and defending audits. Cara speaks regularly for various organizations.
Before joining Constangy, Cara worked as an Attorney-Advisor, Office of Administrative Law Judges, United States Department of Labor.
- South Carolina Chapter of Wage and Hour Laws: A State by State Survey (ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, 2005-2009 Supplements)
- "It's Back: Employment-at-will Reinforced in South Carolina," The Job Description, DRI, Summer 2004
- Applying the Supreme Court’s Affirmative Defense to Supervisor Harassment, The Labor Lawyer, Vol. 16, No. 3 (2000)
- " Worker Adjustment and Training Renotification Act," Labor and Employment Law for South Carolina Lawyers, Vol. I, Chap. 4 (S.C. Bar - CLE Division 1999 & 2004) (Co-Author with Henry S. Knight, Jr.)
- Application of State Law to Age Discrimination in Employment, 51 A.L.R.5th 1 (1997)
- Validity, Construction, and Application of Provision in Separation Agreement Affecting Distribution or Payment of Attorney’s Fees, 47 A.L.R.5th 207 (1997)
- Tort Damages and the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing: Not Well Received in Employment Contracts, The Job Description, Summer 1997
- Affirmative Action Alert: Oh, No! Another Executive Order For Federal Contractors
- Affirmative Action Alert: Obama Prohibits Contractors from Discriminating Because of Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Provides Temporary Relief to TRICARE Providers
- Affirmative Action Alert: President Obama's "Equal Pay" Executive Orders: Much Ado About (Almost) Nothing?
- Affirmative Action Alert: President Signs Executive Order Setting $10.10 Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Releases Mandatory Self-ID Form: And Other Interesting News
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP's "Game-Changing" Regulations - Affirmative Action Alert
- Affirmative Action Alert: ABOUT FACE: OFCCP'S Jurisdiction Over TRICARE Providers Is Back on the Table
- Affirmative Action Alert: STRIKE THREE: Hospitals Lose Again in Challenge to OFCCP Jurisdiction
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Updates Process For Approval Of Functional AAPs, And It's Less Burdensome For Contractors
- Constangy FYI: President Says "NO" to Executive Order on Sexual Orientation
- Constangy FYI: Will Sexual Orientation be the Next Big Issue for Contractors?
- Affirmative Action Alert: Congress Grants Relief To TRICARE Providers
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Proposes 7 Percent Hiring Goal For Disabled
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Undaunted by Challenges to Scheduling Letter Changes
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP'S Proposed "Comp Tool" Does Not Bode Well For Employers
- Constangy FYI: "Technical Difficulties" Cause DOL to Delay Deadline for VETS-100 & VETS-100A Filing
- Affirmative Action Alert: Proposed Changes To OFCCP Audit Scheduling Letter Would Require Comp Information, Among Other Things
- Affirmative Action Alert: Proposed Regs Would Beef Up Affirmative Action Obligations to Protected Veterans
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Issues Proposed Rule On Veterans
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Clarifies Coverage Of Health Care Providers...At Least For Now
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Moves To Undo Bush-Era Changes
- Affirmative Action Alert: You Thought Executive Compensation In Private Companies Was Actually Private?!?
- Affirmative Action Alert: Dust Off Those "Other" Plans: OFCCP Getting Serious About VETS & Disability Obligations
- Affirmative Action Alert: A Sizzling Summer At The OFCCP!
- Client Bulletins: More Changes Afoot: DOL to Abolish Employment Standards Administration, NAACP Lawyer to Be Named to Head EEOC
- Constangy FYI: Has Your Company Benefitted From the Economic Stimulus?
- Constangy FYI: First Year for VETS-100A Filings - Deadline Approaching
- Client Bulletins: Obama Rescinds Beck Rule: Requires "Union-Friendly" Posting Instead
- Client Bulletins: Federal Contractors Now Required To Use E-Verify
- Client Bulletins: Federal Contractors Will Have To E-Verify Soon
- Client Bulletins: S.C. Passes Tough New Immigration Law
- Affirmative Action Alert: In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb?
- Affirmative Action Alert: No Job Listing Regs Before Job Bank Closes, OFCCP Says
- Affirmative Action Alert: Hot News From the OFCCP!
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP To Issue “Report Cards”... How Will Your Company Score?
- Affirmative Action Alert: Do Your Employment Tests Pass The Test?
- Affirmative Action Alert: How To Keep Your "Goals" From Biting You
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Peer Review Rated By Martindale-Hubbell
- South Carolina Diversity Council, Board of Directors (2007-2009)
- South Carolina Industry Liaison Group, Board of Directors (2003-2009), Member (2003-Present)
- Graduate, Leadership Columbia (2002)
- Member, SHRM, Columbia Chapter
- Member, South Carolina Healthcare Association
- National Industry Liaison Group, Board of Directors
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
- Cara is married to an attorney, enjoys walking her dog Fannie, and her favorite hobby, reading.