- Defense of employment litigation, including class claims
- Agricultural Labor
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1971
- United States District Courts for the Middle, Western, and Eastern Districts of North Carolina
- United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Sixth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Wake Forest University
- J.D., cum laude, 1971
- B.A., Political Science, 1968
- President Interfraternity Counsel
"The key to maintaining long-term relations with clients is to always put the clients’ interest ahead of anything else and when interacting with a client, they should feel that they are the most important client you have."
--Randy Loftis, Litigator
W. R. "Randy" Loftis is a Managing Partner and a senior litigator who has tried to jury verdict cases involving every aspect of the employment relationship. He has defended a number of class action claims and has defended cases involving claims of sexual and racial harassment, retaliatory discharge, disability, age, religion, race and sex discrimination, equal pay violations, as well as cases involving claims of defamation, invasion of privacy, negligent supervision, intentional infliction of emotional distress, fraud, and breach of contract. Randy assists employers in problem prevention and legal analysis of complex employment issues. Randy is head of the North Carolina office, that he opened in 1991. Randy serves on the firm's Executive Committee, Strategic Planning Committee and Diversity Counsel. In addition, he manages the firm's largest practice area, litigation.
- Coman v. Thomas Manufacturing - Was the first public policy wrongful case to be tried before a jury in North Carolina.
- Ables v. Renfro - North Carolina Supreme Court recognized the use of comparative evidence for the first time in employment cases.
- Reyes-Gaona - The 4th Circuit held that the ADEA had no extraterial jurisdiction.
- Summary Judgement in Equal Pay Act class action.
- Successful defense of numerous class and collective actions.
- NCGA v. Solis - Obtained injunction against suspension of favorable H2A regulations saving farmers several $100 million.
- DOL v. NC Christmas Tree Growers - DOL regulations classificating Christmas tree production as non-agricultural for FLSA purposed held arbitrary and unenforceable by 4th Circuit.
- Employment Litigation: Staying Out of Court - Counsel to Counsel Magazine
Awards & Recognition
- Voted as North Carolina's Number-One Employment Attorney Among the State Bar's 20,000 Active Members
- Business North Carolina’s 2013 Legal Elite
- Best Lawyers in America for over 20 years
- Who's Who Legal USA Management Labor & Employment
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2006-2016)
- Chambers USA Guide - ranked in Tier 1
- Named to Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" for employment law
- Named Top Lawyer for Trial/Litigation in Triad Business Leader Magazine (August 2008)
- Lawyer Effectiveness & Quality of Life Committee, North Carolina Bar Association
- President, Federal Bar Association, Middle District of North Carolina
- Secretary, Winston-Salem State University Foundation
- Council Member, United Way Tocqueville
- Chair, NC Bar Labor and Employment Section
- CLE Chair, NC Bar Labor and Employment Section
- ABA Labor and Employment Section, member EEO Committee and Committee on Individual Rights and Responsibilities
- Member, Labor Relations Committee and Equal Employment Opportunity Subcommittee, US Chamber of Commerce
- Member of Board, Exploring Joara Foundation
- Member of Advisory Board, YWCA
- Past Member of Board and Executive Committee, United Way of Forsyth County
- Health Impact Council, United Way of Forsyth County
- Past Member of Board, YMCA of Winston-Salem
- Past Member of Board, Cancer Services
- Past Member of Board, Christmas Cheer Toy Shop
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
- Randy is married to Lea Loftis and has 4 children, Randy Loftis, III, Allison Lane, Elizabeth Brown and Dana Stallings, and 6 grandchildren. Randy's favorite pastime is spending time at his farm in the country.