- Defense of employment litigation
- Affirmative Action planning and audit defense
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina, 1994
- District of Columbia, 1996
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina, 1997
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1997
- J.D., 1994
- Law Review; Order of Wig & Robe; AmJur Award, Constitutional Law II
- B.A., Psychology, Minor in Sociology, 1991
- Psychology Honor Society; Sigma Kappa Sorority
Seminars & Presentations
- Webinar: OFCCP'S Final Rule Prohibiting LGBT Discrimination: Are You Prepared?
- Webinar: A Refresher on OFCCP's New Section 503 & VEVRAA Requirements: Are You Ready for Subparts C?
- WEBINAR: OFCCP ANNOUNCES NEW SCHEDULING LETTER AND ITEMIZED LISTING!
- Webinar: Top 12 Harassment Landmines and How to Avoid Them
- Employment Law Lunch and Learn Series for Government Contractors
- Jacksonville Breakfast Briefing: OFCCP Issues Final Regulations and Other New Developments
- WEBINAR: OFCCP Issues Final Regulations!
"The law is whatever is boldly asserted and plausibly maintained."
-- Aaron Burr, U.S. Politician
"You know, the courts may not be working any more, but as long as everyone is videotaping everyone else, justice will be done."
-- Marge Simpson
Cara Crotty is a partner who has defended employers in cases involving every aspect of the employment relationship, including claims such as sexual, racial, age, and disability harassment; discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, and national origin; retaliation; and various other federal and state law claims. Cara Crotty also represents federal contractors covered by Executive Order 11246 in their affirmative action compliance obligations by assisting with Plan preparation and defending audits. Cara speaks regularly for various organizations.
Before joining Constangy, Cara worked as an Attorney-Advisor, Office of Administrative Law Judges, United States Department of Labor.
- South Carolina Chapter of Wage and Hour Laws: A State by State Survey (ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, 2005-2009 Supplements)
- "It's Back: Employment-at-will Reinforced in South Carolina," The Job Description, DRI, Summer 2004
- Applying the Supreme Court’s Affirmative Defense to Supervisor Harassment, The Labor Lawyer, Vol. 16, No. 3 (2000)
- " Worker Adjustment and Training Renotification Act," Labor and Employment Law for South Carolina Lawyers, Vol. I, Chap. 4 (S.C. Bar - CLE Division 1999 & 2004) (Co-Author with Henry S. Knight, Jr.)
- Application of State Law to Age Discrimination in Employment, 51 A.L.R.5th 1 (1997)
- Validity, Construction, and Application of Provision in Separation Agreement Affecting Distribution or Payment of Attorney’s Fees, 47 A.L.R.5th 207 (1997)
- Tort Damages and the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing: Not Well Received in Employment Contracts, The Job Description, Summer 1997
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Proposes Updated Sex Discrimination Rules
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Releases Final Rule on LGBT Non-Discrimination
- Affirmative Action Alert: OMB Finally Approves New Scheduling Letter And Itemized Listing
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Announces Another Proposed Rule: No More Pay Secrecy!
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Proposes "Equal Pay Report" for Contractors to go with EEO-1
- Affirmative Action Alert: Oh, No! Another Executive Order For Federal Contractors
- Affirmative Action Alert: Obama Prohibits Contractors from Discriminating Because of Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Provides Temporary Relief to TRICARE Providers
- Affirmative Action Alert: President Obama's "Equal Pay" Executive Orders: Much Ado About (Almost) Nothing?
- Affirmative Action Alert: President Signs Executive Order Setting $10.10 Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Releases Mandatory Self-ID Form: And Other Interesting News
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP's "Game-Changing" Regulations - Affirmative Action Alert
- Affirmative Action Alert: ABOUT FACE: OFCCP'S Jurisdiction Over TRICARE Providers Is Back on the Table
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Peer Review Rated By Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® (2015)
- South Carolina Diversity Council, Board of Directors (2007-2009)
- South Carolina Industry Liaison Group, Board of Directors (2003-2009), Member (2003-Present)
- Graduate, Leadership Columbia (2002)
- Member, SHRM, Columbia Chapter
- Member, South Carolina Healthcare Association
- National Industry Liaison Group, Board of Directors
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
- Cara is married to an attorney, enjoys walking her dog Fannie, and her favorite hobby, reading.