- Affirmative Action/OFCCP Compliance
- Class/Collective Actions
- Litigation; Employment Litigation Prevention and Defense
- Wage and Hour Compliance and Litigation
- Defense of employment litigation
- Affirmative Action planning and audit defense
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina, 1994
- District of Columbia, 1996
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina, 1997
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1997
University of South Carolina
- J.D., 1994
- Law Review; Order of Wig & Robe; AmJur Award, Constitutional Law II
University of Virginia
- B.A., Psychology, Minor in Sociology, 1991
- Psychology Honor Society; Sigma Kappa Sorority
Seminars & Presentations
- Are Your Workplaces Fairer & Safer Yet? Preparing for Mandatory Disclosures of Labor Law Violations
- Nashville Breakfast Briefing: Implementing the Newest Changes from the OFCCP
- Webinar - OFCCP’s Final Rule on Transparency
- Webinar: OFCCP'S Final Rule Prohibiting LGBT Discrimination: Are You Prepared?
- Webinar: A Refresher on OFCCP's New Section 503 & VEVRAA Requirements: Are You Ready for Subparts C?
- WEBINAR: OFCCP ANNOUNCES NEW SCHEDULING LETTER AND ITEMIZED LISTING!
- Webinar: Top 12 Harassment Landmines and How to Avoid Them
"The law is whatever is boldly asserted and plausibly maintained."
-- Aaron Burr, U.S. Politician
"You know, the courts may not be working any more, but as long as everyone is videotaping everyone else, justice will be done."
-- Marge Simpson
Cara Crotty is a partner who has defended employers in cases involving every aspect of the employment relationship, including claims such as sexual, racial, age, and disability harassment; discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, and national origin; retaliation; and various other federal and state law claims. Cara Crotty also represents federal contractors covered by Executive Order 11246 in their affirmative action compliance obligations by assisting with Plan preparation and defending audits. Cara speaks regularly for various organizations.
Before joining Constangy, Cara worked as an Attorney-Advisor, Office of Administrative Law Judges, United States Department of Labor.
- South Carolina Chapter of Wage and Hour Laws: A State by State Survey (ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, 2005-2009 Supplements)
- "It's Back: Employment-at-will Reinforced in South Carolina," The Job Description, DRI, Summer 2004
- Applying the Supreme Court’s Affirmative Defense to Supervisor Harassment, The Labor Lawyer, Vol. 16, No. 3 (2000)
- " Worker Adjustment and Training Renotification Act," Labor and Employment Law for South Carolina Lawyers, Vol. I, Chap. 4 (S.C. Bar - CLE Division 1999 & 2004) (Co-Author with Henry S. Knight, Jr.)
- Application of State Law to Age Discrimination in Employment, 51 A.L.R.5th 1 (1997)
- Validity, Construction, and Application of Provision in Separation Agreement Affecting Distribution or Payment of Attorney’s Fees, 47 A.L.R.5th 207 (1997)
- Tort Damages and the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing: Not Well Received in Employment Contracts, The Job Description, Summer 1997
- Affirmative Action Alert: Will these mandates really result in "fairer pay and safer workplaces," or will they just increase administrative burdens for contractors?
- Affirmative Action Alert: Final Rule and Guidance on Fair Pay & Safe Workplaces Released
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Issues Final Rule on Sex Discrimination
- Affirmative Action Alert: REMINDER: OFCCP’S Pay Transparency Rule Takes Effect Monday
- Affirmative Action Alert: Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors set to Increase
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Issues Regulations on "Pay Transparency"
- Affirmative Action Alert: Obama Orders Paid Sick Leave for Employees of Some Federal Contractors
- Affirmative Action Alert: Agencies issue proposals on "Fair Pay & Safe Workplaces" Executive Order
- Affirmative Action Alert: VEVRAA hiring benchmark drops again
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Proposes Updated Sex Discrimination Rules
- Affirmative Action Alert: OFCCP Releases Final Rule on LGBT Non-Discrimination
- Affirmative Action Alert: OMB Finally Approves New Scheduling Letter And Itemized Listing
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Peer Review Rated By Martindale-Hubbell
- Named, Best Lawyers in America® 2015-2017
- Highly ranked in Chambers USA Guide
- South Carolina Diversity Council, Board of Directors (2007-2009)
- South Carolina Industry Liaison Group, Board of Directors (2003-2009), Member (2003-Present)
- Graduate, Leadership Columbia (2002)
- Member, SHRM, Columbia Chapter
- Member, South Carolina Healthcare Association
- National Industry Liaison Group, Board of Directors
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
- Cara is married to an attorney, enjoys walking her dog Fannie, and her favorite hobby, reading.