- Class/Collective Actions
- Litigation; Employment Litigation Prevention and Defense
- Wage and Hour Compliance and Litigation
- Defense of wage and hour litigation, including collective/class actions
- Defense of employment discrimination litigation, including class actions
- Employment law counseling
- Wage and hour law counseling and compliance auditing
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia, 1981
- Virginia, 1987
- Numerous federal district courts and courts of appeal
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1981
- US Court of Appeals - Third Circuit, 1985; Fourth Circuit, 1997; Eleventh Circuit, 2002
- Supreme Court of Virginia, 1987
- US District Court - Colorado, 1997
- US District Court - Arizona, 1998
- US Claims Court - June, 1998
- US District Court - Eastern District of VA, 1992; Western District of VA, 2001
- J.D., 1981
Florida State University
- B.S., Government and International Affairs, magna cum laude, 1978
Seminars & Presentations
- Webinar - FLSA OVERTIME COUNTDOWN! December 1 is only a month away. Are you ready?
- WEBINAR - FLSA White Collar Exemptions: Is It Time to Reevaluate Your Classifications?
- Webinar Recording - FLSA White Collar Exemptions: Is It Time to Reevaluate Your Classifications?
- Washington D.C. Metro Breakfast Briefing - The Final Rule on White-Collar Exemptions to the FLSA Overtime Requirements: What Employers Need to Know Now
- Webinar (Repeat) - The Final Rule on White-Collar Exemptions to the FLSA Overtime Requirements: What employers need to know now
- Webinar - The Final Rule on White-Collar Exemptions to the FLSA Overtime Requirements: What employers need to know now
- Webinar 3:00-4:15 p.m. - The Final Rule on White-Collar Exemptions to the FLSA Overtime Requirements
- WEBINAR SERIES - The "Supremes" Issue Significant Decisions During The 2013-2014 Term
"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my ax."
Jim Coleman has thirty-five years of experience in counseling employers on wage and hour matters, as well as defending employers in wage and hour litigation and administrative proceedings. His expertise includes in-depth knowledge of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and many comparable state wage and hour laws. Jim served as General Counsel for the National Council of Chain Restaurants for two decades, and through his representation of the trade association, as well as many of its member companies, he has developed considerable expertise in addressing legal issues of particular concern to the food service industry. Jim has also represented the chain restaurant industry before Congress in connection with legislative matters involving the FLSA and the NLRA.
Jim is widely regarded for his expertise in counseling employers on numerous labor law issues, including wage and hour standards, child labor restrictions, occupational safety and health standards, and employment discrimination. He has successfully defended many large restaurant chain employers in litigation brought by the U.S. Department of Labor concerning wage and hour, child labor, and OSHA matters. Jim has also defended many employers against single and multi-plaintiff lawsuits involving claims of employment discrimination, wrongful termination, and related charges. Jim serves as the Co-Chair of the firm’s Wage & Hour Practice Group.
- Employment Litigation: Staying Out of Court - Counsel to Counsel Magazine
- Client Bulletins: EMPLOYERS CAN BREATHE A SIGH OF RELIEF COME DECEMBER 1: Court strikes down overtime rule
- Client Bulletins: Labor and Employment Law in a Trump Administration
- Retailer: Retailer - Summer 2016
- Wage-Hour Report: FAST FOOD EMPLOYERS IN THE EMPIRE STATE: 10 wage-and-hour issues on the horizon
Awards & Recognition
- ALM’s Legal Leaders: Washington D.C. & Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers, 2015
- Highly ranked in Chambers USA Guide
- Jim Coleman has been recognized in the publication, Best Lawyers in America (2005-2017)
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers
- Virginia Super Lawyers (2006-2012, 2014-2016)
- American Bar Association
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Boy Scouts of America, Assistant Scoutmaster
- Youth Sports Leagues, Coach for Baseball, Basketball and Soccer
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
- Jim is married with four children.