- Defense of employment litigation, including class claims
- Sexual harassment investigations and defense
- Policy analysis and employment law training
- Compliance Audits
Bar & Court Admissions
- Arkansas, 2012
- Virginia, 1996
- Tennessee, 1997
- District of Columbia, 1998
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- United States District Courts for the Middle, Western and Eastern Districts of Tennessee
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Sixth Circuits
- 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2015
Pepperdine University School of Law
- J.D., cum laude, 1996
- Margaret Martin Brock Academic Scholar (1995-96)
- Labor Law Mock Arbitration Panel (Fall 1995)
- Fall Individual Advocacy Tournament (1995)
- London Legal Program Student Representative (1995)
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
John Brown University
- B.A., English, magna cum laude, 1993
- Arkansas Governor’s Scholar
- John Brown Division Scholar
- American Studies Program Representative
- Washington, D.C. (Fall 1991)
- Internship with U.S. Senator Don Nickles (Fall 1991)
Seminars & Presentations
- Chambers USA Recognizes 28 Constangy Attorneys
- 50 Constangy Attorneys Selected as Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers USA Recognizes 28 Constangy Attorneys
- Four Constangy Attorneys Honored By Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Teresa Rider Bult Co-Chairs ABA Committee
- 43 Constangy Attorneys Honored as Best Lawyers for 2015
"I used to be afraid of failing at something that really mattered to me, but now I'm more afraid of succeeding at things that don't matter."
First and foremost, Teresa is a relationship partner for her corporate clients in the employment defense space, and a very practical "problem solver." She is constantly trying to figure out how to connect her clients to resources that can make their job easier, help them navigate through tricky employment and HR issues, as well as connecting them to the excellent attorneys at Constangy throughout the U.S. In her 19 years of practice as a defense-side employment litigation attorney (all 19 years at Constangy), she has litigated cases and counseled clients on almost every conceivable employment-related issues involving everything from co-workers literally spray-painting each other, to employees sending inappropriate texts, to serious whistleblowing and collective and individual wage claims. She’s learned employment law creates a strange world, and partly because of that, she can't imagine doing anything else.
Because every good attorney’s bio has to list all the amazing stuff they have done to impress everyone, for the record, Teresa has handled a zillion employment litigation cases, including class/ collective actions, has taken a gazillion depositions, has taken multiple cases to trial, and has argued in front of the appellate courts, too. Oh, and she loves mediating, public speaking, mentoring, and making employment law training fun.
And feel free to stop there, butif you happen to want to hear more,just know that Teresa also serves as Administrative Partner and General Counsel at Constangy, was the founding chair of Constangy’s Women's Network, and has received numerous awards and nominations such as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, Martindale Hubbell, Chambers USA, and the Nashville Business Journal (Women of Influence). Currently, she is serving as co-chair of the ABA Litigation Section's Employment and Labor Relations Law Committee.
No matter the trials won or the accolades on paper, the thing Teresa loves most about her work is meeting new people. She feels honored to call so many clients friends.
- Moderator, Keynote Panel: Pioneering Women Influencers - Lessons in Leadership, Women, Influence & Power in Law Conference (WIPL), Washington, DC, October 30, 2015.
- Diversity in the Legal Community – Tennessee Bar Association, TBALL program, May 2015.
- ADR Internal Strategies – What Works?, NRF Committee on Employment Law Conf, April 2015.
- Quoted: Female Attys Give Employment Boutiques A Boost In Biz, Law 360, April 2015.
- Who's LOL now? The latest 411 on BYOD, texting, and #socialmedia, National Retail Federation, Committee on Employment Law, Spring 2014.
- BYOD: Bring Your Own Device or Bring Your Own Disaster, Women, Influence & Power in Law Conference, Washington, DC, October 4, 2013.
- "Navigating U.S. and U.K Employment Law," Global Outsourcing Association of Lawyers, International Webinar, December 6, 2012.
- "No Comment: PR Guide to Crisis Management for the HR Executive & In-House Counsel" presentation, National Retail Federation (NRF) HR Executive Summit, October 2012.
- "Fact or Fiction: Balancing Your Work & Personal Life," Global Outsourcing Association of Lawyers, October 8, 2012.
- Sterling Education Services Presenter, "Employment Law Update Seminar," July 13, 2011.
- "Creating Savvy Managers: Training Management to Avoid Needless Litigation" presentation, NRF Executive Summit, October 2010.
- Strafford National Webinar, "Witness Preparation Strategies," October 2010.
- "What GINA Means for Employers & Employees," ABA Litigation News Cover Story (Print Edition), Spring 2010.
- ABA Litigation Section Teleconference Moderator: "Woodshedding Witnesses: Limits to What Could be one of the Law's Dirty Little Secrets," February 9, 2010.
- "Is Summary Judgment In Employment Cases A Myth?," Employment Law360, November 2009.
- "Arbitration Agreements: Are They Worth the Cost?" presentation, NRF HR Executive Summit, 2009.
- "Off the Wall Questions with not so Off the Wall Answers" presentation, NRF HR Executive Summit, 2008
- "Sex, Race and Other Harassment in the Workplace" presentation, Sterling Education Services, 2008.
- "Debunking The Work-Life Balance Myth: Is It Fact or Fiction," ACC Docket, July/August 2007.
- "Practical Use and Risky Consequences of Rule 68 Offers of Judgment." Litigation Magazine, Volume 33, Number 3, Spring 2007. American Bar Association.
Awards & Recognition
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Named Top Labor & Employment Law Attorney by HR Professionals Magazine, 2015
- Named Top 50 Women by Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2015
- Highly ranked in Chambers USA Guide
- Nashville Business Journal, Women of Influence Finalist, 2013
- AV® Peer Review Rated By Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers (2008-2010, 2012-2015)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers®, 2013-2016
- Co-chair, Employment and Labor Relations Law Committee, ABA Litigation Section
- Editorial Board member, ABA Litigation News Magazine.
- Nashville Bar Association
- Harry B. Phillips American Inns of Court, alumni
- CABLE Civic Connections for Women
- Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce
- Nashville CEO Roundtable Member
- 4Word National Member
- Crosspoint Community Church, Dream Center, Legal Center Organizer/Director
- Former General Counsel/ Secretary of Nonprofit Outlook Nashville
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
- Teresa enjoys spending time with her husband and their two boys, as well their little girl, whom they recently adopted from Ethiopia. When Teresa is not chasing after her kids, she enjoys hanging out at the lake (or any body of water), writing articles on legal and other topics, travel, home projects, promoting adoption, and volunteering at her church and in the Nashville community. She loves the outdoors, and wishes she had more time to fit in camping, water and snow skiing, and hiking!