- Advising and counseling employers regarding employment litigation prevention and defense
- Defense of employment claims in state and federal courts
- Representation of employers in union campaigns, representation proceedings, arbitrations and collective bargaining negotiations, and unfair labor practice proceedings before the NLRB and federal courts
- Affirmative Action planning, compliance, and audit defense
- Merger and acquisition advice
Bar & Court Admissions
- Alabama, 1986
- South Carolina, 1987
- North Carolina, 1994
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina, 1987
- United States District Courts for Western, Middle and Eastern Districts of North Carolina, 1987
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1990
- J.D., 1986
- Law Review
- Cumberland School of Law
- B.A., History, 1982
“The first rule is not to lose. The second rule is not to forget the first rule.”
Terry Clark advises and counsels employers in the prevention and resolution of disputes regarding all aspects of the employer/employee relationship. He has represented employers in litigation under Title VII, the NLRA, the ADA, the ADEA, ERISA, the FLSA, the FMLA, Sarbanes Oxley, various restrictive covenants and other employment-related torts. In the NLRA arena, he has counseled clients in 55 representation cases which have resulted in 54 Company wins, and over 100 successful card signing campaigns. He has also advised in and litigated cases involving alleged discriminatory discharges, 10(j) proceedings, allegations of bad faith bargaining, unlawful unilateral changes, refusals to furnish information, various strike issues including injunctive relief, protected concerted activities, coercive threats and interrogations and backpay/compliance issues. Terry has also provided companies with preventative training in all areas of labor and employment law and has advised companies in due diligence and merger and acquisition issues as well as collective bargaining negotiations and arbitrations. In addition to his traditional labor and employment litigation practice, Terry has significant experience in the area of affirmative action compliance and training, and on-site and audit defense.
Before joining Constangy, Terry was a founding partner and shareholder with the law firm of Edwards, Ballard, Clark, Barrett & Carlson.
Awards & Recognition
- Highly ranked in Chambers USA Guide
- Terry Clark has been recognized in the publication, Best Lawyers in America (2009-2015)
- Named Top Lawyer for Trial/Litigation in Triad Business Leader Magazine (August 2008)
- Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite"
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2013-2015)
- North Carolina Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section)
- South Carolina Bar Association (Certified Specialist in Labor and Employment Law, South Carolina Supreme Court)
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- Executive Committee
- Chairman, Personnel Committee
- President of the Board of Directors, The Special Childrens' School
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
- In his leisure time, Terry enjoys his family and practically any outdoor activities.