SUMMARY: The Paralegal/Legal Assistant will work alongside Attorneys to deliver high-quality legal services and perform administrative/clerical tasks including entering billable time, preparing and submitting expense reports and other firm forms, coordinating Attorney calendars, scheduling appointments and travel arrangements, and generally providing administrative support for assigned Attorneys. Position requires a deep understanding of the civil litigation process and a willingness and ability to regularly perform clerical and administrative duties as described below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES for Paralegal Work
- Organize documents and coordinate document productions. Conduct the Bates-stamping, redaction, duplication and indexing of documents. Set up and maintain files which are organized chronologically, numerically and/or by subject matter. Work with Litigation Support Specialist on electronic productions. Under the guidance of an attorney, categorize documents by subject matter, prepare a chronology of facts and create production charts.
- Conduct various document searches and factual research. Create and maintain internal case databases, run searches on internal and external document databases and systems, cull relevant information from a variety of resources such as newspapers, magazines, legal subscription services, libraries, case documents and trade associations.
- Prepare witness and matter materials for case preparation. Organize interview memos, digests and other relevant documents for attorney review and case preparation.
- Prepare for and attend depositions. Under attorney supervision, gather and prepare documents relevant to the deponent, organize exhibits, take notes and handle exhibits during the deposition and digest transcripts to summarize highlights of a proceeding.
- Motion practice. Pull relevant documents, proofread papers, organize exhibits and create document indices in the preparation of motion filing.
- Court filings. Work with attorneys in the preparation and filing of all court documents. Create, bind and distribute both file and courtesy copies. Organize the briefs, exhibits and appendices. Take ownership over litigation filing process, including knowledge of and compliance with electronic and other filing requirements, maintenance of electronic litigation files, and keeping client contact up to date with file copies.
- Act as liaison among various internal departments as well as with outside agencies. Oversee the progress of documents through litigation support departments, order transcripts from reporting services and fulfill requests from outside counsel and others.
- Maintenance of and ownership over litigation dockets. Have primary responsibility over maintenance of dockets for litigation and other matters for assigned attorneys, including developing and using procedures to ensure that attorneys are aware of and satisfy all filing and other deadlines.
- Excel Spreadsheet analytical work. Have extensive working knowledge of Microsoft Excel to perform analytical work using spreadsheets and formulas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES for Legal Assistant Work
- Operates standard office equipment, including a personal computer, copiers, scanners, facsimile, and telephone.
- Prepares error-free correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts; drafts correspondence and other documents required by or related to the litigation process, other client matters, or any other attorney-requested item; understands specialty areas of practice (Employment Litigation) and is capable of attaching appropriate enclosures for specialty area without the need for supervision. Extensive working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Reviews completed documents thoroughly to check for errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation and formatting.
- May open, sort, date and scan incoming mail and/or faxes. Ensures that outgoing mail is timely delivered. If necessary, routes mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
- Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes master calendar system. Has ownership over ensuring assigned attorneys’ calendars up to date and attorneys are reminded accordingly. Anticipates needs of assigned attorneys.
- Opens new files, prepares and collects conflict of interest checks, and maintains client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of closed files; prepares files for closed storage.
- May receive clients and visitors; maintains exceptional public relations with clients, potential clients, and attorneys and staff from other firm offices; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Makes client- and business-related appointments for attorneys upon request.
- Coordinates attorney travel schedules and takes ownership over ensuring timely submitting of expense reimbursement requests related to travel.
- Inputs attorney time for time and billing purposes on a daily basis.
- Assists attorneys in any other work-related ways that allows attorneys to concentrate on client matters and client development, including anticipating those needs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must have general understanding of federal and state court rules, forms, processes, and procedures relating to discovery.
- Must possess excellent research skills, including knowledge of electronic search technology and litigation databases.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and capable of consistently producing error-free work product for exacting attorneys.
- At least three years of experience as a civil litigation paralegal in a mid-size or large law firm and at least one year of experience working as a legal assistant.
- Must have strong communication, organizational, and multi-tasking skills and be a “self-starter.”
- Experience with employment law firm a plus.
- Exceptional customer service skills to anticipate and satisfy attorney’s administrative needs.
- Need to be available and able to work overtime as required.
We offer competitive compensation along with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. Please email, your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com.