Cody represents and advises employers in all aspects of employment litigation ranging from class and representative actions to single plaintiff matters. His practice focuses on defending California wage and hour class actions and representative actions under the California Private Attorney General Act (PAGA) related to claims of misclassification of employees, unpaid wages, missed meal and rest breaks, and off-the-clock work. His employment experience also includes defending and pursuing claims of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, and FMLA/CFRA violations.
Prior to joining Constangy, Cody represented both employers and employees in class action and single plaintiff litigation at firms in the San Francisco Bay Area. Cody also spent a semester teaching second and third year law students the ins and outs of plaintiff side PAGA litigation at the University of Santa Clara, School of Law. Cody’s experience as a plaintiff side employment litigation attorney allows him to be proactive in advising clients and defending employment actions due to his ability to think like a plaintiff’s attorney.
Cody earned his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, where he graduated a semester early.
Cody is a Bay Area native and a die-hard San Francisco Giants and 49ers fan.
- In re Acknowledgment Cases. California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division 2 (2015). Obtained a reversal of the trial court’s decision allowing the City of Los Angeles to seek reimbursement of training costs from police officers for the cost of attending the City’s training academy if the officers left the City’s employment within 5 years after completion of the academy.
- “Do or do not, there is no try.”
- Employment Litigation Prevention
- Advising Employers on Best Practices
- Employment Policy Formulation and Advice
- Policy Analysis and Employment Law Training
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- J.D., 2014
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Legal Writing and Research
- Moot Court Award for Best Brief
- California State University, East Bay
- B.A. in Political Science, 2012
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California