Lisa Yumi represents employers in complex employment litigation, including single-plaintiff, class-action, and PAGA matters. Her practice focuses on defending claims of discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination, and leave-of-absence violations. Her experience also includes wage-and-hour and “suitable seating” matters. Given her background as a Human Resources professional prior to law school, Lisa Yumi also provides advice on a variety of personnel and human resources matters, including handbook reviews.
Lisa Yumi earned her J.D. from the University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, where she served as a Bar-certified law student and student supervisor with the Post-Conviction Justice Project, successfully representing three lifers in parole hearings. She also prepared petitions for habeas corpus and argued on behalf of two clients seeking resentencing from life without the possibility of parole. Prior to law school, Lisa Yumi worked in human resources and benefits for a transnational corporation and an international law firm. She earned her B.A. from the University of California, Berkeley with a double-major in Theater & Performance Studies and Psychology, and a minor in German.
Prior to joining Constangy, Lisa Yumi was an attorney at a California-based litigation boutique, where she primarily worked in the employment practice group.
Professional & Civic Associations
- California State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
Lisa Yumi’s interests include musical theatre (watching and performing), building Legos, and travelling. Lisa Yumi is an unusual sports fan, cheering on some Bay Area teams while rooting for other Los Angeles teams. She is also an unabashed Star Wars nerd. If Lisa Yumi was not living in the United States, she would either live in Tokyo or in London.
News & Analysis
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- "Leaves of Absence - Review of All Leaves and Special Focus on FMLA/CFRA/PDL," Presentation for California Lawyers Association's Employment Law 101 - Fundamentals for the New Employment Practitioner Conference (co-panelist), February 2020
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
- California Snapshot , 9.21.20
- California Snapshot , 9.3.20
- California Snapshot , 4.8.20
- “The show must go on.”
University of Southern California, Gould School of Law
- J.D., 2016
- Hale Moot Court Honors Program – Fox Rothschild Best Brief Award
University of California, Berkeley
- B.A., cum laude, 2008
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- German (conversational)