Randy is a senior litigator who has tried to jury verdict cases involving every aspect of the employment relationship. He has defended a number of class action claims and has defended cases involving claims of sexual and racial harassment, retaliatory discharge, disability, age, religion, race and sex discrimination, equal pay violations, as well as cases involving claims of defamation, invasion of privacy, negligent supervision, intentional infliction of emotional distress, fraud, and breach of contract. Randy assists employers in problem prevention and legal analysis of complex employment issues. Randy is head of the Winston-Salem office, which he opened in 1991. Randy serves on the firm's Executive Committee, Strategic Planning Committee and Diversity Counsel. In addition, he co-manages the firm's largest practice area, litigation.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America® (1989-2020)
- Best Lawyers in America® Employment Law - Management "Lawyer of the Year," Greensboro, NC (2014)
- Best Lawyers in America® Labor Law - Management "Lawyer of the Year," Greensboro, NC (2012)
- Chambers USA Guide® - Tier 1
- Legal Elite, Business North Carolina (2013)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® (2006-2019)
- North Carolina's Number-One Employment Attorney among the State Bar's 20,000 Active Members
- Top Lawyer for Trial/Litigation, Triad Business Leader Magazine (2008)
- Who's Who Legal USA Management, Labor & Employment Lawyers
Professional & Civic Associations
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, EEO Committee
- Committee on Individual Rights and Responsibilities
- Federal Bar Association, Middle District of North Carolina, President
- United States Chamber of Commerce, Labor Relations Committee
- Equal Employment Opportunity Subcommittee
- North Carolina Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, Chair
- CLE Committee Section Chair (1990)
- Winston-Salem State University Foundation, Secretary
- United Way Tocqueville, Council Member
- Burke County United Way, Board Member
- Exploring Joara Foundation, Board Member
- Foothills Conservancy of North Carolina, Board Member
- United Way of Forsyth County, Board and Executive Committee Member
- Western Piedmont Foundation, Board Member
- YMCA of Winston-Salem, Board Member
Randy is married to Lea Loftis and has 4 children, Randy Loftis, III, Allison Lane, Elizabeth Brown and Dana Stallings, and 6 grandchildren. Randy's favorite pastime is spending time at his farm in the country.
- Coman v. Thomas Manufacturing - Was the first public policy wrongful case to be tried before a jury in North Carolina.
- Ables v. Renfro - North Carolina Supreme Court recognized the use of comparative evidence for the first time in employment cases.
- Reyes-Gaona - The 4th Circuit held that the ADEA had no extraterial jurisdiction.
- Summary Judgement in Equal Pay Act class action.
- Successful defense of numerous class and collective actions.
- NCGA v. Solis - Obtained injunction against suspension of favorable H2A regulations saving farmers several $100 million.
- DOL v. NC Christmas Tree Growers - DOL regulations classificating Christmas tree production as non-agricultural for FLSA purposed held arbitrary and unenforceable by 4th Circuit.
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- "Employment Litigation: Staying Out of Court," Counsel to Counsel Magazine, July 2006
- "The key to maintaining long-term relations with clients is to always put the clients’ interest ahead of anything else and when interacting with a client, they should feel that they are the most important client you have."
- Randy Loftis, Litigator
- Defense of employment litigation, including class claims
- Agricultural Labor
Wake Forest University
- J.D., cum laude, 1971
- B.A., Political Science, 1968
- President Interfraternity Counsel
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1971
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee