Ronald brings a wealth of experience to Constangy. After having logged over two decades as a top-rated Los Angeles business litigator, Ron was recruited to become General Counsel for eHarmony, an international dating site with over sixty million registered users. There, he provided strategic legal advice to the C-Suite and assured global compliance in all areas of data privacy, including GDPR, CCPA, and COPPA.
A nationally published and recognized thought leader, lecturer, panel member in cybersecurity and information governance, Ron has implemented and overseen robust, best practices cybersecurity measures, including Incident Response Plans, as well as Privacy Policies, Terms of Service, Safety Tips, and Disaster Recovery Plans. He also possesses substantial expertise in the areas of California auto-renewal law, ROSCA, and Title III ADA physical, mobile, and desktop access requirements.
After a five year tenure at eHarmony, Ron became General Counsel at OilR, an early stage tech startup, providing advice in legal areas a startup must navigate. These areas include contracts, intellectual property, corporate structure, securities, SEC and FINRA issues, KYC/AML, capital raising, and Whitepaper. The OilR coin will be an asset-backed, non-fractional, market-valued reserve cryptocurrency administered on the blockchain and transacted on any exchange or wallet that supports Stellar Lumen tokens.
Ron will now provide his valued services as Senior Counsel for Constangy in the areas of employer liability under the CCPA and related privacy laws, cybersecurity, information governance, and internet law, including ADA website compliance, and tech/crypto law.
Honors & Recognitions
- Martindale “AV-Preeminent, 5 out of 5”
- Top Lawyers in California
Professional & Civic Associations
- LA Cyber Lab
- Secure the Village
- Association of Legal Technologists
- Risk Management Society
- Today’s General Counsel
- Georgetown Law Cybersecurity Law Institute
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Fuel, Palo Alto Networks
- IPQC Global IP Exchange
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- Consero Group
- Lambda Chi Alpha, Epsilon Sigma Zeta Corporation Board Member
- Harley Davidson Owners Group
- Southern California Harley Riders Association
- Southern California Area Buellers
Ron is an avid motorcyclist, both street and dirt, and has been riding and racing since he was 13. He also owns numerous vintage cars and competes in concours events. He’s a seasoned rock guitarist, having played in many bands and LA venues such as the Whisky a Go Go, the Roxy, The El Rey, and the Anaheim Convention Center. Though he loves all types of music, classical is his favorite. Bach, Puccini and Wagner! He’s also a runner and an ice hockey player, having played on the UCLA Ice Hockey Team.
- Marschall v. Recovery Solution Specialists, 399 Fed.Appx. 186 (2010) – Federal Class Action Offer of Judgment Mooting.
- TBG Ins. Services v. Superior Court, 96 Cal.App. 4th 443 (2002) – Employee right to privacy.
- Pleasant Hill Disposal Services v. Chip-It Recycling, 91 Cal.App. 4th 678 (2001) – Municipal exclusive contracts.
- Briano v. Conseco, 126 F.Supp. 2d 1293 (2000) – Federal removal jurisdiction.
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
Served as a keynote speaker and faculty member for ALM Legaltech, San Francisco, and ALM cyberSecure, New York, the Silicon Valley Association of General Counsel All Hands Meeting, the World Congress IP Summit, the Innovation Enterprise IP Innovation Forum, and the Consero General Counsel and Legal Operations Forums. A select participant in numerous panel discussions, including Cybersecurity: Bloomberg Big Law Business – West, DLA Piper’s Global Perspectives on Emerging Trends in Cybersecurity Roundtable, the Georgetown Cybersecurity Law Institute, Peer 150 Cyber Attic at Google Ventures, and the UCLA School of Law, Lowell Milken Institute for Business Law and Policy.
Other speaking engagements & industry publications:
- "Love & Cybersecurity," Risk Management Monitor
- "Risk and Crises Management Explored at Cyber Event," Risk Management Monitor
- "eHarmony GC Talks Cybersecurity," Global Dating Insights
- "GC of eHarmony Battles Cyber Attacks with Knowledge, Careful Planning," ALM Corporate Counsel
- "Tuning In To eHarmony," Modern Counsel
- "Finding His Match," Corporate Counsel
- "A Discussion with eHarmony’s GC about the Role of In-House Counsel in Cybersecurity," The
Cybersecurity Law Report
- "As Cyber Attackers Get Tougher, General Counsel Get Going," ALM Corporate Counsel Magazine
- "GCs Are Questioning Their Outside Counsel about Cybersecurity," ALM Corporate Counsel
- "So What Does a General Counsel Have To Do With Cyber-Security, Anyway?," CIOReview
- "How Ron Sarian Defends eHarmony’s Trade Secrets," Modern Counsel
- "As General Counsel of a Dating Site with More Than 60 Million Registered Users, Sarian Takes Data Security Very Seriously," The Recorder
- "Ron Sarian Defends Matchmaker eHarmony’s Trade Secrets in the Expanding Field of Online Dating," Modern Counsel
- "It’s a New Age in Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Protection," LegalTech News
- "Optimizing Privacy and Data Protection in the Digital Age," LegalTech News
- "Leap of Faith, Ronald Sarian and eHarmony are a Match Made in Heaven," Los Angeles Daily Journal
- "Ronald N. Sarian is General Counsel at eHarmony," e-Stet Academy
- "The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 and Reasonable Security Procedures," Constangy
- "The Challenges of Protecting IP in the Digital Age," Innovation Enterprise
- "The Impact of DTSA on Your IP Portfolio," World Congress
- "Work hard, play hard!"
- GDPR, CCPA, PECA, COPPA, etc.
- Cybersecurity Best Practices, Incident Response Plans, Privacy Policies, Terms of Service, Safety Tips, Disaster Recovery Plans, California Auto-Renewal Law, ROSCA, Title III ADA website compliance.
Loyola Law School
- Phi Alpha Delta, Vice Justice
- B.A. in Economics
- College of Letters & Science Honors Program (3.6+)
- Dean’s Honor List, Five Quarters (3.75+ / Quarter)
- Omicron Delta Epsilon (3.6+ in Economics)
- Lambda Chi Alpha
- UCLA Ice Hockey Team
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Courts of Appeal
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S.Tax Court