Theresa’s practice focuses on preventing legal issues and formulating positive business solutions concerning employment-related issues for clients. She regularly conducts training for clients to educate managers on best employment practices toward the goal of managing legal issues.
Theresa regularly advises clients on a broad spectrum of labor and employment matters, including the negotiation of employment contracts, drafting and the enforcement of restrictive covenants, the development of personnel policies and practices, workplace restructuring, workplace investigations, litigation avoidance, and compliance with employment-related statutes and programs such as the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and Executive Order 11246 (establishing affirmative action obligations for federal contractors). She has extensive experience in representing employers with respect to discrimination claims, harassment, contractor issues, wage and overtime claims, wrongful discharge, contract, tort actions and injunction proceedings involving non-compete agreements and trade secret misappropriation.
In addition to employment litigation and counseling, Theresa handles traditional labor relations issues including union elections, unfair labor practices, union arbitrations and related proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board.
Honors & Recognitions
- ALM’sLegal Leaders: Washington D.C. & Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers (2015)
- Chambers USA Guide® (2004-2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent®
- Rising Star, Virginia Super Lawyers® (2007)
- Top Management Employment Lawyer, Washingtonian Magazine(2007, 2009)
- Top Washington Lawyer, Washington Business Journal(2007)
- Virginia Super Lawyers® (2010-2018)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers® (2011-2017)
Professional & Civic Associations
- American Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
Theresa resides with her husband and three children in Vienna, Virginia.
- "It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength."
- Maya Angelou
Fordham University School of Law
- J.D., May 1990
Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations
- B.S., May 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia, 2001
- Virginia, 2001
- New York, 1991
- Maryland, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia