Billy's practice includes counseling and representing employers in the areas of employment law, labor relations, compensation and benefits, workplace safety, corporate governance, officer and director liability, preventative counseling, liability and risk management, and best practices. He regularly represents employers in a wide variety of labor and employment law matters before administrative agencies and in state and federal courts.
Billy's practice also includes drafting and litigating employment agreements and restrictive covenants, trade secret agreements, independent contractor agreements, vendor agreements, and corporate agreements.
Billy's primary focus is on helping clients avoid litigation in the first place through preventative counseling, compliance counseling and training, internal audits, investigations, and damage control.
Honors & Recognitions
- Texas Super Lawyers® (2012-2018)
Professional & Civic Associations
- Employers Counsel Network
- Dallas Bar Association, CLE Committee
- Exodus Ministries, Board Member
- Information Management, 9.10.18
- Building Savvy Magazine, 5.1.18
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- Texas Employment Law Letter, contributor (since 2011)
• "Protecting Data from Departing Employees (or, Why You Should Love Auditing and Access Restrictions)
• "What Class Waivers & Arbitration: What Texas Employers Need to Know"
• "Individual Manager Liability: Heavy is the Head that Wears the Crown"
• "Who's the Boss? Holding Companies Liable for Employee Misconduct"
• "Caveat Emptor - Successor Liability in Asset Purchases"
• "Independent Contractors & Joint Employer Liability"
• “Proving Up Electronic Signatures”
• “Responding to a Data Security Breach: Are You Prepared?”
- “Embrace Your Inner Techie: Best Practices for Enhancing Cybersecurity and Managing Electronic Evidence,” ABA Regional CLE Workshop: Employment & Labor Relations Law 2017, September 2017
- “Family and Medical Leave Act,” presented to BLR Master Class, October 2016
- "The Local TRO Process" and "Fight at the TI Corral," presented to UT Law CLE Non-Compete Boot Camp, September 2016
- “Considerations in Enforcing Non-Competes or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Non-Compete Litigation,” presented to IGNITE SBOT, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, June 2016
- “The Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016: What Practitioners and Companies Need to Know,” presented to ABA TIPS Corporate Counsel Committee CLE, May 2016
- “Key Points to Consider Regarding Non-Compete Covenants in Your Practice,” Dallas Medical Journal, March 2016
- “Representing the Company” and “Getting It Resolved,” presented to UT Law CLE Non-Compete Camp: Drafting, Litigating and Trying Non-Competes, September 2015
- “Advanced Deposition Techniques: Leveraging Exhaustion, Boxing-In, and Summarization Approaches with Adverse Witnesses,” presented to Strafford Publications CLE, March 2013-2015
- “Employee-Side Attorneys and How to Avoid Them,” presented at 27th Annual South Texas College of Law Employment Law Conference, July 2014
- “Hot Topics in Employment Law,” presented at Airports Council International 2014 Legal Affairs Spring Conference, April 2014
- “Witness Impeachment Strategies & Proven Techniques for 2014,” presented to National Constitution Center Publications CLE, January 2014
- “Managing Employee Leave and Navigating the Devil’s Triangle,” presented for HR Hero CLE, January 2013
Blogs & Videos
- Employment & Labor Insider, 9.19.18
- Employment & Labor Insider, 9.4.18
- Employment & Labor Insider, 5.11.16
- “Measure twice, cut once."
- Labor and Employment
Baylor University Law School
- J.D., 2002
The University of Texas at Austin
- B.A, Economics, 2000
Bar & Court Admissions
- Texas, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas