Brooke provides counsel to a wide array of companies and clients to develop preventative measures to minimize risks and avoid the expense of litigation. She has represented clients in all types of discrimination and harassment litigation, noncompetition disputes, and retaliatory discharge claims. She also enjoys working with new businesses to help them handle a variety of workplace issues. Additionally, she provides management and employee training on numerous topics including anti-discrimination and harassment policies, effective discipline, employee investigations, FLSA, and retaliation.
Brooke’s goal is to provide timely, skillful, and efficient advice to help her clients confidently solve the daily legal and practical challenges of owning and running a business.
Honors & Recognitions
- First female to hold the position of Chief Volunteer Officer of the Tuscaloosa YMCA
- Tuscaloosa News Top 40 under 40 Business Professionals, 2018
Professional & Civic Associations
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Alabama Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law and Young Lawyers sections
- Florida Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law and Young Lawyers sections
- Tuscaloosa County Bar Association
- Tuscaloosa Human Resource Professionals, Legislative Chair (2012-present)
- Leadership Tuscaloosa (Class of 2014)
- Bessemer Academy Board of Directors (2014-present; Vice-President 2016-present)
- YMCA Board of Directors (2012-present; Chief Volunteer Officer 2016)
- Young Professionals of Tuscaloosa, Director ( 2012-2016)
Brooke is an adjunct professor at the University of Alabama School of Law and Cumberland School of Law at Samford University. She has been leading a small group for a number of years where she and a group of women do an aerobic kickboxing routine and then have a Bible study afterwards, an interesting combination that she loves. Brooke also enjoys spending time with her husband Michael and their two daughters, Tyler and Harper.
- Brooke was successfully involved in the largest and most public union organizing election of 2017 assisting the execution of a campaign that saw the employer win the election by a nearly 2-1 vote margin.
- Served as outside general counsel to one of Tuscaloosa’s most rapidly growing retail businesses.
- Assisted multiple start-up companies in Tuscaloosa and central Alabama in formation and beginning of operations.
- Provided counsel to new and existing businesses related to hiring, training, retaining, and firing employees as well as the formulation and implementation of employment policies.
- Defended numerous clients against Title VII, FLSA, FMLA, and retaliatory discharge claims.
News & Analysis
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- “ADA Title III: Accommodating Disabilities or Encouraging Lawsuits?,” The Alabama Lawyer, 2017
- “Pregnancy-Blind Justice: How Young v. UPS May Alter Workplace Policies Nationwide,” Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA) Journal, Spring 2015
- “Top 5 Employment Law Issues for 2016,” ADLA Journal, Spring 2016
- “Widespread Changes to FLSA's Overtime Rules Implemented,” ADLA Journal Fall 2016
- “An Arizona Bill with an Alabama Twist – The Effort to Deter Illegal Immigration in the Deep South,” ADLA Journal, Fall 2011; Co-Author
- “State of Confusion: The Brief Life and Times of Alabama’s Immigration Bill,” ADLA Journal, Spring 2012; Co-Author
- “Term 'Navigable Waters' includes relatively permanent standing, or flowing water; CWA covered 'Adjacent Wetlands' have a continuous connection to those waters,” Cumberland Law Review, Volume 37 No. 3 (2006-2007)
- “New FLSA Salary Threshold for Exempt Employees on Hold for Now. What Should Employers Do?,” November 2016
- “FLSA Overtime Rules: December 1 Deadline is Off,” November 2016
- “Health Care Providers and ACA Section 1557 Compliance,” October 2016
- “Widespread Shanges to FLSA’s Overtime Rules Implemented,” May 2016
- “Sweeping Changes Proposed to FLSA’s Overtime Rules,” August 2015
- “Employment and Tax Law Under the Trump Administration,” presented to Cullman Society for Human Resource Management, August 2017
- “The Rise in Department of Labor Audits on Independent Contractor Relationships.” presented to the Accounting & Financial Women’s Alliance, April 2015
- “Social Media in the Workplace,” presented to The Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama, October 2015
- “Sexual Harassment and Anti-Discrimination Training,” presented to the City of Northport, Alabama, April 2015
- “Contingent Workforce,” presented at the Tuscaloosa Human Resource Professionals Leadership Seminar, August 2014
- “FLSA Compliance Seminar – It’s About Time,” presented at the Tuscaloosa Human Resource Professionals Leadership Seminar, August 2014
- “Title IX: What you need to know,” presented to Shelton State Community College, August 2017
- “Employment Law Update,” presented at the Tuscaloosa Human Resource Professionals Leadership Seminar, August 2017
- “Employment Law Update,” presented at the Tuscaloosa Human Resource Professionals Leadership Seminar, August 2016
- “Employment Law Update,” presented at the Tuscaloosa Human Resource Professionals Leadership Seminar, August 2015
- “Progressive Discipline,” presented to TVC-SHRM, November 2016
- “Workplace Law Update,” presented at Westervelt Lumber, August 2017
- "Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement."
- Helen Keller
- Employment Policy Formulation and Advice
- Defense of Employment Litigation
- Defense of NLRB and EEOC Charges
- Union Avoidance Counseling and Campaigns
- Union Contract Negotiations
- Management Training
- Sexual Harassment Investigations and Defense
- Policy Analysis and Employment Law Training
- Compliance Audits
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
- J.D., summa cum laude, 2008
University of Alabama
- B.S., magna cum laude, 2005
Bar & Court Admissions
- Alabama, 2008
- Florida, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida