If you are a California consumer, as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, additional rights are granted. Please refer to our California Privacy Addendum.
1. THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information directly from individuals online, as well as automatically through the use of our Site.
Information Collected Directly
We may collect personal information about you directly from you. For example, personal information may be collected when you fill out a 'Contact Us' form, sign up for our mailing lists, register for events we host or sponsor (https://www.constangy.com/eventsrsvp-398), or otherwise provide us information through the Site. Generally, the information we collect includes your:
- Name, company name and title/position
- Email address, phone number, fax number, mailing address and contact details
- Contact preferences and interests
- Business affiliations
- For events, it may include dietary restrictions, requested accommodations and other event-related preferences
- If you register for, attend or participate in CLEs that we make available, we may collect your Bar number and other information necessary for CLE credit and reporting purposes
- Other information related to your request or inquiry
Information Collected Automatically
We collect personal information about you automatically through the following platforms:
- Google Analytics: This uses HTTP requests of the user, browser/system information, and first party cookies. It collects:
- Number of users and sessions
- Session duration
- Operating systems
- Device models
- First launches
- App opens
- App updates
- Demographics: gender & age
- Constant Contact: This is a platform enabled through https://www.constangy.com/subscribe. It uses an imported list from the Constangy marketing database, which is comprised of firm clients and contacts, as well as attorneys’ contacts generated when an attorney gives a speech or attends a networking event and is given business cards from people who would like a follow-up call or have an interest in our services. Contacts may also be added into the database if we sponsor an event, and the organization provides us with the list of registrants. Each person has the option to unsubscribe if they do not wish to receive further communication from us.
- MailChimp: This is a third-party platform we use to send out our blog notification emails. The collection process is similar to Constant Contact. We import the list from the marketing database and individuals can voluntarily sign-up on each individual blog page.
- Employment & Labor Insider: https://www.constangy.com/employment-labor-insider/
- Affirmative Action Alert: https://www.constangy.com/affirmative-action-alert/
- California Snapshot: https://www.constangy.com/california-snapshot/
- FOCUS: https://www.constangy.com/focus-women-leaders/
- GlobalMeet: This is a third-party platform we use to host our firm webinars. When someone signs into the webinar, the following information is collected:
- IP Address
- Duration on the webinar
2. OUR USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Generally, we use the information (including personal information) that we collect online as follows:
- Providing support and services
To provide and operate our Site, communicate with you about your use of the Site, provide troubleshooting and technical support, respond to your inquiries, communicate with you, and for similar service and support purposes.
- Responding to your requests
To respond to your inquiries and consider your request or application (e.g., if you have submitted a resume or other application information online or by email, we will use it as part of the application review process).
- Newsletters, mailing lists and direct marketing
For direct marketing purposes, including to send you newsletters, client alerts and information we think may interest you. If you are located in a jurisdiction that requires opt-in consent to receive electronic marketing messages, we will only send you such messages if you opt-in to receive them.
- Analytics and improvement
To better understand how users access and use the Site, and our services, and for other research and analytical purposes, such as to evaluate and improve our services and business operations and to develop services and features.
- Protect our legal rights and prevent misuse
- Comply with legal obligations
To comply with the law or legal proceedings. For example, we may disclose information in response to subpoenas, court orders, and/or other lawful requests by regulators and/or law enforcement, including responding to national security or law enforcement disclosure requirements.
- General business operations
Where necessary, for the administration of our general business, accounting, recordkeeping and legal functions.
- Anonymous and de-identified information
We may create and use anonymous and de-identified information to assess, improve and develop our business, products and services, and for similar research and analytics purposes.
3. DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will not rent or sell your personal information, nor will we share it with third parties, outside of Constangy, for their marketing purposes. If this policy changes in the future, we will notify you and allow you the opportunity to opt-in.
We may share personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- Third party service providers, such as those listed in Paragraph 2, above, that provide services to us or to whom we outsource certain services, such as data hosting or software or technology services.
- Our professional advisers, such as lawyers and accountants.
In addition, we may disclose personal information to other third parties under the following circumstances:
- Business transfers
As part of any merger, sale and transfer of our assets, acquisition or restructuring of all or part of our business, bankruptcy, or similar event, including related to due diligence conducted prior to such event where permitted by law.
- Legally required
If we are required to do so by law (e.g., to law enforcement, courts or others, including, but not limited to, in response to a subpoena or court order).
- Protect our rights
Where we believe it necessary to respond to claims asserted against us, comply with legal processes (e.g., subpoenas or warrants), enforce or administer our agreements and terms, or for fraud prevention, risk assessment, investigation, and to protect the rights, property or safety of Constangy, our clients and customers, or others.
We may also share aggregate or de-identified information with third parties for research, marketing, analytics and other purposes, provided such information does not identify a particular individual.
4. COOKIES AND SIMILAR DEVICES
5. DIRECT MARKETING
As noted, we may send periodic promotional emails to you, and where required by law, we will obtain your consent to do so. You may opt out of such communications at any time by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email or email us at email@example.com. If you opt out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your account or any services you have requested or received from us.
6. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS
Constangy may do business in the European Economic Area (EEA); when you submit personal information to us, or when others provide personal information to us, we will receive it and process it in the United States and in other locations where we are located (see here), or where we have service providers. In order to provide services, we also may need to transfer your personal information to locations in other jurisdictions.
If you are based within EEA, please note that where necessary to deliver the services, we will transfer personal information to countries outside the EEA (including to other Constangy practicing entities). Countries outside the EEA may not provide an adequate level of protection to your personal information, which is why the Constangy practicing entities have signed a data sharing agreement, based on the EU standard contractual clauses, to provide appropriate safeguards and an adequate level of protection for personal information.
You have a right to obtain details of the mechanism under which your personal information is transferred outside of the EEA; you may request such details by contacting us as set forth in the "How to contact us" section below.
7. WEBSITE CONTENT ACCESSIBILITY
We strive to adhere to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines for the visually impaired (such as screen readers, speech-recognition software, etc.). The website text converts to sound for the visually impaired who uses assistive technology, and our videos have the capability to add captions for the hearing impaired.
8. ACCESS AND CORRECTION
If you would like to review the personal information we have collected about you via the Site, or request that we update or delete it, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. THIRD PARTY LINKS AND WEBSITES
Our Site contains links to other websites whose information practices may be different than ours. Visitors should consult the other website's privacy notices as we have no control over information that is submitted to or collected by, these third parties.
10. CO-SPONSORED EVENTS
11. OUR COMMITMENT TO SECURITY
We employ security measures to prevent unauthorized access to information that we collect online. However, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
12. HOW TO CONTACT US
We reserve the right to revise this Policy or any part of it from time to time. Please review the Policy periodically for changes. If we make material changes, we will endeavor to provide notice ahead of such changes, such as by email or through a notice on our Internet site.