Jackie has over 25 years of experience as an employment litigator, is a nationally recognized subject matter expert on noncompetition law and other restrictive covenants and is co-chair of the firm's Trade Secrets & Unfair Competition Practice Group. Jackie not only has a commanding knowledge of the law, but also understands how that law impacts and motivates courts, businesses, and employees. Ultimately, what she provides is practical efficient services to employers of all sizes.
Jackie excels at problem solving. MacGyvering answers to challenges is her specialty. She has extensive experience on both sides of wrongful competition matters and is extremely creative by nature—allowing clients to benefit by her creative “out of the box” thinking. From employment disputes to trade secret protection, wrongful competition, mediation and litigation, and drafting and enforcement of non-compete agreements, Jackie’s focus is on helping her clients find solutions. As stated by one of her clients, “I always feel safe as a client knowing Jackie is representing me. I know she cares and is prepared to go to battle as if she were an extension of me.”
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America ® (2013-present)
- "Texas Rising Star" Texas Monthly and Law & Politics
Professional & Civic Associations
- Certified Mediator, Center for Public Policy Dispute Resolution, the University of Texas School of Law
- Association of Attorney-Mediators, Member
News & Analysis
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- Unfair Competition and Intellectual Property Protection in Employment Law (Bloomberg BNA 2014) (with M. Scott McDonald).
- Drafting and Enforcing Covenants Not to Compete (BNA 2009) (with M. Scott McDonald).
- Covenants Not to Compete: A State-by-State Survey (Bloomberg BNA).
- Trade Secrets: A State-by-State Survey (Bloomberg BNA).
- Employee Duty of Loyalty: A State-by-State Survey (Bloomberg BNA).
- Tortious Interference in the Employment Context: A State-by-State Survey (Bloomberg BNA).
- Employment Termination: Rights and Remedies (BNA 2d Ed.).
- Employment Arbitration Agreements: A Practical Guide (Aspen 2009).
- Associate Editor, Texas Employment Law Handbook (Texas Association of Business 2007-2009 Ed.).
- Working Group Member (contributor), The In-House Counsel's Essential Toolkit, Committee on Corporate Counsel, Employment Law (ABA 2007).
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
In this two-part podcast, Jackie Johnson, Co-Chair of Constangy’s Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition Practice Group and Partner in Constangy’s Dallas, Texas, office, visits with Bill McMahon about the ins-and-outs of trade secret law. The first part focuses on the trade secret law basics, while the second part looks at best practices for trade secret protection and unfair competition prevention. You will find this Trade Secret Two-Step from our Dallas subject matter expert to be both helpful and informative.
- "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
- Neale Donald Walsch
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Drafting Employment Contracts, Confidentiality and Noncompetition Agreements, and Independent Contractor Agreements
- Mediation in all aspects of Employment Law
University of Texas School of Law
- J.D., 1994
- B.A., Philosophy, cum laude, 1991
Bar & Court Admissions
- Texas, 1994