For over 25 years, Kimberly has devoted her practice to management-side labor and employment law. She is favorably regarded in the legal community as an effective advocate in arbitrations, negotiations, hearings and administrative proceedings, in all phases of litigation and at trial. She regularly represents employers in single-plaintiff, multi-plaintiff, representative and class-action lawsuits, in both state and federal court, including claims for discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wage and hour, and other statutory and common-law claims arising from the employment relationship. She is skilled in all facets of discovery and fact gathering, legal research, law and motion, and courtroom advocacy.
A significant portion of Kimberly’s practice is devoted to traditional labor matters, including defending employers against unfair labor practice claims and alleged violations of the collective bargaining agreement. In addition, Kimberly has conducted numerous investigations into alleged workplace misconduct, including discrimination, harassment, and retaliation and has represented employers in administrative proceedings and investigations conducted by various state and federal agencies.
In addition to her litigation, labor and investigation practice, she provides day-to-day advice and counseling to clients concerning all aspects of the employer-employee relationship.
Her clients include public and private sector employers in a broad range of industries, including retail, grocery, and healthcare industries.
Honors & Recognitions
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation (2012)
- National Black Lawyers Top 100 (2015)
- Southern California Super Lawyers® (2006-2018)
- Top 50: Women Southern California Super Lawyers® (2009-2010, 2012-2014)
Professional & Civic Associations
- Center of Hope, Board of Director and Member
Talley is married to Mark Wilson and has two amazing Chow-Chows, Cleopatra and Ari. Hobbies include photography (photos appearing in 2015 book Michelle Obama: A Life by Peter Slevin); greatest memory is climbing the Great Wall of China during student exchange program in 1982.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of two high level city public officials against a claim of retaliation by a former city attorney
- Obtained defense verdict at trial on behalf of retail grocery chain against claims by former employee for sexual harassment, wrongful termination, and retaliation
- Obtained numerous summary judgments awards on behalf of retail grocery chain on claims alleging discrimination, failure to accommodate, wrongful termination, and retaliation
- Prevailed at 9-day arbitration on claims by former employee against aerospace company for disability discrimination, wrongful termination, and failure to accommodate
- Successfully represented hospital on appeal arising from dismissal of wrongful termination claim based upon attorney error (published decision)
- Successfully represented retail grocery chain on appeal from trial court's granting of summary judgment and denial of request for relief from judgment on claims by former employee for sexual harassment and discrimination on the basis of marital status (published decision)
- Successfully arbitrated a number of claims brought pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement involving contract interpretation, wage and hour issues, and employee misconduct
News & Analysis
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- “Eye on Supreme Court,” Bender's California Labor & Employment Bulletin (previous, columnist and guest author)
- "Succeeding As A Woman of Color," The Woman Advocate (2nd ed.), Chapter 5
- Shannon Casey v. Albertson's, Inc., 362 F.3d 1254 (9th Cir.), 2004
- Scott Caldwell v. Methodist Hospital of Southern California, 24 Cal. App. 4th 1521, 1994
- “A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination.”
- Nelson Mandela
- Litigation Employment
- Litigation Prevention and Defense
- Wage and Hour Compliance and Litigation
- Labor Relations (Labor Arbitrations/Unfair Practice Charges)
Harvard Law School
- J.D., 1989
University of South Carolina
- B.A., magna cum laude, 1986
- Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 1990