Terry focuses his practice on helping clients with complex employment law matters. He advises and represents employers, boards of directors, and senior officers and managers regarding all types of employment litigation, counseling, and transactional matters. He has appeared on behalf of clients before federal and state courts and handles litigation at both the trial and appellate levels. Terry’s litigation skills make him frequently relied on by colleagues to handle business and commercial litigation matters. He also handles administrative proceedings matters pending with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, U.S. Department of Labor, and the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
Although a majority of Terry's clients are in the state of California, he has also handled matters in coordination with local counsel in Texas, New York, Nevada, Arizona and Utah.
Professional & Civic Associations
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Lawyers' Committee for Cultural Heritage Preservation
- Association of Ski Area Defense Attorneys (Past)
- Reuben Clark Law Society - International Board:
- Membership Committee, Current
- Global Chapter Relations Council, Past Chair
- North America West Region, Past Co-Chair
- California Area, Past Director
- Los Angeles Chapter, Past Chair
- Lincoln Clubs of California, Downtown Chapter of Los Angeles County, Past Chair
- Representing clients in wage and hour actions involving individual, class, collective and PAGA actions, presenting meal period, rest break, misclassification, off-the-clock, tip pooling, compensable time and other claims under federal and California law.
- Advising and representing unionized and non-unionized clients in ERISA matters, relative to union trust fund benefit audits, challenging scope and legitimacy of trust fund audit practices.
- Representing business entity clients in employment contract litigation, including issues related to trade secret protection, non-disclosures and restrictive covenant litigation in federal and California state courts.
- Advising and defending clients regarding third-party, public accommodation and accessibility claims based on the federal Americans with Disabilities Act and California Unruh Act.
- Guiding clients through complex and simple reductions in force, work force reorganization, business relocations and executive hiring, retention and separation.
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- J.D., 1990
University of Utah
- B.A., 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 1990
- Utah, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Spanish (fluent)