Dana specializes in ERISA, regularly advising employers, trustees and service providers concerning qualified retirement plans, non-qualified plans, fringe benefits, welfare benefits and executive compensation issues. She has developed significant expertise in the ERISA/employee benefits practice area, representing a large and diverse client base. She regularly advises clients regarding planning and evaluating benefit programs, establishing and administering employee benefit plans, monitoring compliance with applicable laws, resolving compliance issues, corporate restructuring and severance issues, employee stock ownership and incentive programs, and plan issues in mergers and acquisitions.
Dana is actively involved in professional organizations and speaks at educational conferences on various employee benefit plan topics. She has successfully resolved issues for clients with the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, and Pension and Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
Before joining Constangy, Dana was an attorney with the law firm of Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C.
Honors & Recognitions
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® (2008-2017)
- Best Lawyers in America® (1995-2019)
- Chambers USA Guide®
Professional & Civic Associations
- Alabama State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Profit Sharing Council of Alabama
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Southern Employee Benefits Council
- Glenwood, Inc. - Board of Directors and Human Resources Committee for Mental Health Association
- Oak Mountain Youth Football and Cheerleading Volunteer\
Dana is married to David Thrasher and they have three daughters and one son. She enjoys traveling, reading, and spending time with her family.
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
"Costly Employee Benefits Issues to Recognize and Avoid," Jacksonville Annual Labor & Employment Law Workshop, March 2019
- “Clients value a lawyer's ability to understand not just the question presented but the true issues of significance and implications of all available options. To be an effective advisor and to successfully and efficiently assist clients, I strive to fully understand all the facts involved and to present all possibilities to the client to help the client choose the most effective strategy. As Thomas J. Watson, former president of IBM, stated, ‘The ability to ask the right question is more than half the battle of finding the answer.’”
- Dana Thrasher, Employee Benefits Lawyer
- Employee Benefits/ERISA
- Executive Compensation
Cumberland School of Law of Samford University
- J.D., summa cum laude, 1989
- Editor - Cumberland Law Review; Curia Honoris; Cordell Hull Fellow
University of North Alabama
- B.S.W., summa cum laude, 1986
- Keller Key for Highest Academic Average in Graduating Class; Phi Alpha Delta Honorary
Bar & Court Admissions
- Alabama, 1989
- District of Columbia, 1991