John Combs represents employers in matters relating to their international workforce. His practice is currently focused on employment based, permanent residency “green card” processes including labor certifications, immigrant visa petitions, and adjustment of status or immigrant visa applications. He also advises on portability issues when foreign employees change positions and successor-in-interest issues when employers undergo corporate changes.
Prior to joining Constangy, John acquired more than 25 years of business immigration experience at immigration boutique, regional and national law firms. He has directed business immigration programs for a number of multinational companies, particularly in the information technology sector, assisting those employers with development of streamlined processes for preparation of nonimmigrant visa petitions, coordination with the lengthy permanent residency application process, and implementation of employment verification compliance programs.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America® (2010-2023)
- Best Lawyers in America® "Lawyer of the Year" for Immigration, Denver (2016, 2018)
Professional & Civic Associations
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Colorado Bar Association
Outside of the office, John can often be found enjoying the mountains of Colorado, snowboarding, skiing, biking and hiking with his family.
- Lawful permanent residency processes that employers undertake to sponsor their foreign workers for “green cards.
- These include:
- -Permanent labor certifications
- -Immigrant visa petitions
- -Adjustment of status or immigrant visa applications
- -Other actions that must be taken when foreign employees change positions, or the employer undergoes corporate changes during the years long efforts
University of Denver
- LL.M., Taxation, 1989
University of Idaho
- J.D., 1983
Michigan State University
- B.S., 1978
Bar & Court Admissions
- Colorado, 1984