Laura is a member of the Constangy Cyber Team and brings more than a decade of experience ensuring clients are fully informed of their potential legal obligations under federal and state data breach notification statutes by counseling clients through the data security incident response process – from conducting an initial assessment of the matter and developing a strategy for response to collaborating with third-party digital forensics and incident response firms. Laura's experience stretches across various industries such as education, financial services, public sector, and healthcare.
Laura also utilizes her HIPAA expertise to advise clients on best practices in healthcare privacy and security. This often includes policy and procedure development or revision, review of business associate and subcontractor privacy agreements, and assessment of current safeguards in place.
Before returning to law firm practice, Laura served as the Privacy Officer and Senior Director of Compliance of a national healthcare business solutions organization, in which she worked closely with both covered entity clients and subcontractors. During her time there, Laura was a member of the Compliance leadership team and reported regularly to the Compliance and Audit Committee on incident investigations, trends, and risks. She also led a team of investigations officers, developed incident response and investigation protocols, and provided oversight to the consumer protection compliance program, all while managing the intake of new matters, and maintaining the suite of privacy policies and procedures.
Professional & Civic Associations
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) for United States law (US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC)
News & Analysis
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- Panel Presenter: What Lawyers & Business Leaders Need to Know about Cybersecurity & Managing Legal & Financial Risk (organized by the SMU Rowling Center), October 5, 2022