Darrick’s practice focuses primarily on workplace investigations of discrimination and harassment allegations, investigations by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, discrimination lawsuits, including EEOC lawsuits alleging systemic discrimination, collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act, litigation involving trade secrets and non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, and other employment litigation. Darrick also provides client counseling to limit exposure to litigation in these and other areas of employment law, such as issues arising under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act. Darrick’s legal superpower is listening to clients’ problems and goals to identify solutions that are not only effective but practical and cost-efficient.
Honors & Recognitions
- Top 40 Litigation Lawyer Under 40 in the State of Georgia, American Society of Legal Advocates (2013 and 2014)
- Lawyers of Color’s Second Annual Hot List (2014)
Stakeholder 100 Inaugural Class (2007)
Professional & Civic Associations
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation
- National Bar Association - Host Committee Member for the 2014 Annual Convention & Exhibits
- Atlanta Bar Association - Board Member (2015 – 2016)
- Gate City Bar Association
- Board Member (2007, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2016)
- President (2015)
- Vice-Chair, Justice Benham Law Camp (2007-present)
- Co-Founder and Co-Chair, Youth and the Law Summit (2008-Present)
- Gate City Foundation
- Board Member (2008, 2012, 2013)
- Chair (2016)
Darrick enjoys cooking soulful southern food (such as award winning sweet potato pie), weightlifting, playing basketball, following the NBA, and spending time and taking vacations with his family and friends.
- Defense of a linen laundry company in a lawsuit filed by the former CEO seeking bonus payments pursuant to the terms of the CEO’s employment agreement.
- Defense of a national retail company in a putative class action filed by the EEOC alleging racial discrimination in hiring decision and alleged related retaliation.
- Defense of a national staffing company in a lawsuit filed by another staffing company alleging breaches of restrictive covenants in the employment agreement of one of the client’s recent new hires who previously worked for the plaintiff staffing company.
- Representation of an international company in connection with an employee’s claims of sexual harassment and retaliation and other violations of the company’s policies.
- Representation of an international company in connection with the investigation of employees’ claims of violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act and alleged related retaliation.
Counseled a large corporation in connection with preparing agreements containing restrictive covenants for high-level employees.
News & Analysis
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
“Labor & Employment Laws: A Thorough Guide for Employers and Employees,” co-presented with The Knowledge Group, November 2017
“FLSA Litigation: Updates and Developments in 2017,” co-presented with The Knowledge Group, May 2017
- Race Discrimination Investigations and Defense
- Litigation and Defense of Employment Claims
- Litigation of Employer and Employee Non-Competition Agreements
- Defense of Wage and Hour Claims
- Defense of EEOC Charges
- J.D., 2003
University of South Carolina
- B.S., magna cum laude, 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- Georgia, 2003
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia State and Superior Courts
- Georgia Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia