Lauren advises clients across a variety of business sectors on best practices in data privacy and information security. She guides clients in responding to data security incidents, conducting initial assessments of data security problems, and facilitating forensic and/or remediation services required to contain, analyze, investigate, and remediate the incident. In addition to breach response, Lauren has experience across industries regarding data security incident prevention best practices, developing privacy and incident response policies, and information security policies. She also assists clients with comprehensive information security governance and response plans, and contracts in compliance with applicable privacy laws. She assesses clients’ consumer and regulatory notification obligations under applicable state, federal, and international laws, and assists clients with external communications such as consumer or employee notifications, regulatory reporting, and media holding statements. She holds the CIPP/US and CIPP/E credentials.
Lauren is a skilled litigator, with experience managing a national trucking docket and defending trucking companies and their drivers in catastrophic injury cases across the country. Her litigation experience also includes the defense of insureds in business torts, cargo claims, personal injury lawsuits, and PHRC and EEOC claims of discrimination. She has previously represented health care providers and hospitals in Pennsylvania and New York providing valuable insight into HIPAA Privacy & Security issues as they affect those entities. She possesses a certificate in Health and Hospital Law.
Lauren has also counseled and represented pharmaceutical and medical device companies in mass tort personal injury lawsuits and state attorney general investigations. She was a member of a national defense team involving the recall of an orthopedic medical device and resulting multi-district litigation. She also represented business entities in business torts and toxic tort asbestos, as well as environmental litigation and life insurance companies defending against transfers of structured settlement annuities.
Professional & Civic Associations
- Allegheny County Bar Association—Legal Technology & e-Discovery Committee, 2012–Present
- ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Committee, Chair, 2022-2023
- Certificate in Health & Hospital Law, Seton Hall University Law School
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) for United States law (US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) for European law (E) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Girls Scouts of Western Pennsylvania, Troop Treasurer, 2015–Present
- Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, Children’s Theatre Board Member, 2017
- Stepping Stones Children’s Center
- Board of Directors, Parent Director, 2012–2014
- Vice-President, 2014–2015
News & Analysis
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- Co-Author, A Practical Guide to Cyber Insurance for Businesses, Am. Bar Ass’n., 2023.
- Moderator, Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Attorney-Client Relationships, Bar Ass’n., Tort Trial & Ins. Practice Section, Live Webinar, Dec. 12, 2022.
- Co-Editor, A Practical Guide to Cyber Insurance for Businesses, Am. Bar Ass’n., 2022.
- Lauren D. Godfrey & Renier P. Pierantoni, “Educational Institutions,” A Practical Guide to Cyber Insurance for Business, Ch. 24, 539-556, Am. Bar Ass’n., 2022.
- Lauren D. Godfrey & Sarah Estephan, “Canada Reforms Its Data Privacy Laws Through Enactment of Quebec Bill 64,” Am. Bar Ass’n., Tort Trial & Ins. Practice Section, Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Comm. Newsletter, Fall 2022.
- Moderator, “Tales From the Frontline”, Am. Bar Ass’n., Tort Trial & Ins. Practice Section, Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Comm., 2d Biannual Conference, Mar. 3, 2022.
- Lauren D. Godfrey & Jacqueline Leahy, “Top Ten Tips to Prevent or Reduce the Impact of Cyber Incidents in Mergers & Acquisitions,” Digital Insights Blog, May 13, 2021.
- Speaker, “Digital Forensics For Lawyers: Uncover Hidden Evidence to Win Your Case,” Allegheny County Bar Ass’n., Live Webinar, Apr. 27, 2021.
- Speaker, “Plan Prepare & Protect: Key Considerations for Drafting Your Company’s Ransomware Response Plan”, Am. Bar Ass’n., Tort Trial & Ins. Practice Section, Live Webinar, Mar. 18, 2021.
- Speaker, “Ransomware, Cyber Insurance, and the GC's Role: New Executive Order, Risks Related to Payment, FBI Guidance,” Strafford Webinars, Aug. 26, 2021.
- Co-Author, “How to Educate Yourself in an Increasingly Digital World,” American Bar Association’s (ABA) Young Lawyer’s Division blog, June 11,2021
- Lauren D. Godfrey, Shaun G. Goodfriend, “How to Land a Job in Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law,” American Bar Association’s (ABA) Student Lawyer blog, March, 2021
- Kyle D. Black, Christina B. Alam, Steven M. Bucher, Ashley F. Giannetti, Lauren D. Godfrey, and Justin D. Wear, "Recent Developments in Cybersecurity and Data Privacy," Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 54 Issue 2, Spring 2019.
- Justin Wear, Robert Flowers, Kyle D. Black, Lauren D. Godfrey, and Roberta D. Anderson, “Recent Developments in Cybersecurity and Data Privacy,” Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 53, No.2, Winter 2018.
- Lauren D. Godfrey, “FDA Issues Draft ‘Guidance for Industry Fulfilling Regulatory Requirements for Postmarketing Submission of Interactive Promotional Media for Prescription Human and Animal Drugs and Biologics,’” Pharmaceutical Compliance Monitor, March 31, 2014.
- Lauren D. Godfrey, Daniel E. Tranen, Richard W. Bale & Paul M. Shapiro, “Recent Developments in Products Liability,” Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Volume 49, Number 1, Fall 2013, 351.
- “Tech Tips: Ten Tips for E-Filing Court Documents,” TortSource, Winter 2009 Issue of the Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section. “E-Discovery: A Hands-On Approach,” TortSource, Summer 2006 Issue of the Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section.
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
- Constangy Cyber Advisor ,
- Constangy Cyber Advisor ,
New York Law School
- J.D., 2003
Seton Hall School of Law
- Health & Hospital Law Certificate
University of Scranton
- Master of Science, Secondary Education, 2005
- B.A., 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- Pennsylvania, 2003
- New Jersey. 2003
- New York, 2003
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania