Gary has represented employers exclusively in both the private and public sectors since graduating from law school in 1997. His experience includes successfully defending employers in all aspects of labor and employment law. Gary is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit, as well as the Florida state bar.
Gary is a frequent lecturer at seminars for employers. He provides in-house training on workplace issues to supervisory and management employees.
Honors & Recognitions
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Labor Law – Management and Litigation - Labor and Employment (2013-2022, 2024)
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
Professional & Civic Associations
- Florida Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Boy Scouts of America, North Florida Council, Den Leader
Gary is married to Tiffany Wheeler and has three children. Gary enjoys tennis, reading, and spending time with his family.
More About Gary
My first job
My first job, or at least one of my first jobs, was working in the powerhouse of a paper mill. The first time I worked the graveyard shift, I drove home and slept for 8 hours in my jeans and steel-toed boots.
What I would be if I wasn't a lawyer
What I love about my area of practice
I love learning about the work that our clients do and how they do it.
Sports team I root for most
Davidson Wildcats Basketball.
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
- Ponte Vedra Inn and Club
- Constangy's Jacksonville Office
- Jacksonville Breakfast Briefing: Maintaining a Drug-Free Workplace in the Age of Marijuana Legalization and an Opioid Epidemic -Jacksonville Office
- Jacksonville Office
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- "Little Known Employment Laws," Jacksonville Annual Labor and Employment Law Workshop, March 2019.
- "Discipline, Discharge, and Separation Agreements," Jacksonville Annual Labor and Employment Law Workshop, March 2019.
- “Hey Buddy, You Got the Time? FLSA Litigation Tips from Both Sides of the Aisle.” Co-Presented with Luis Cabassa to The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee, the Labor & Employment Law Section, and the American Bar Association Committee on Disability Rights, April 2017.
- “FLSA Overview,” Presentation for Florida Public Human Resources Association's Annual Conference in Naples, Florida, July, 2016.
- “Finally, the Finalized Changes to the FLSA White-Collar Exemptions,” Presentation for the American Payroll Association, Jacksonville Chapter on May 26, 2016.
- “EEOC Lawsuits. Wellness Programs: Finding the Right Combination of Carrots and Sticks,” Presentation for the Jacksonville Association of Health Underwriters' Protecting the Consumers event on January 27, 2016.
- “Compensable Work Time under the FLSA,” Presentation (supervisory training) for the Jacksonville Chapter of Society for Human Resource Management, August 2014.
- “ADA and FMLA Updates and Interplay,” Presentation for Sterling Educational Services in Gainesville, Florida, December, 2013.
- "Guiding an Employer through the FMLA Leave Process," presented to The Florida Bar, Labor & Employment Law Section, December 2013.
- “An Ounce of Prevention: Employment Law 101 and Positive Employee Relations,” Presentation at the Georgia Credit Union Association's Annual Convention, May 2012.
- "Following Your Foe's Tweets: Discovery of Social Networking and Other Voluntary Internet Disclosures," presented to The Florida Bar, October 2009
- Investigative Research: Techniques to Discover Information on Potential Jurors, Presentation at the Florida Bar Annual Convention, June 2008.
- Jacksonville Best Places to Work - Jacksonville Business Journal, July 2014
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
- “Advice is judged by results, not by intention.”
- Marcus Tullius Cicero
- Employment Law Counseling
- Employment Litigation
- Wage & Hour Compliance and Litigation
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- J.D., 1997
- North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation, 1995 - 1996
- B.A., English 1991
Bar & Court Admissions
- Florida, 1998
- United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Judicial Circuit