Allen is a partner and a vice chair of the Constangy Cyber Team, and he is based in Orange County, California. Allen has managed responses to hundreds of data security incidents, having been doing so full-time over the past several years. He has managed responses to incidents in all business sectors and with businesses of all sizes. Allen regularly facilitates digital forensics investigations for clients who have experienced a cyber incident. He also regularly assesses consumer and regulatory notification obligations, frequently representing businesses in regulatory investigations pertaining to privacy and data breach notification laws.
As a result of his time spent on secondment with a major Lloyd's syndicate in 2013, Allen has a unique understanding of cyber insurance, and often advises cyber insurers on coverage matters. He is a featured speaker on cyber insurance, cyber risk mitigation, responding to ransomware attacks, and data privacy and security-related topics. Allen holds the Certified Information Privacy Professional for U.S. laws (CIPP/US) credential.
Allen attended Saint Louis University School of Law where he performed two judicial internships, one with a Missouri Court of Appeals judge and the other with a United States District Judge for the Central District of Illinois. He also served as an editor to the Saint Louis University School of Law Public Law Review, where he helped edit and publish articles by prominent authors including a United States Supreme Court Justice.
Professional & Civic Associations
- American Bar Association
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) for United States law (US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- Panelist, "Where Are We on the Ransomware Journey?” Advisen’s 2022 Cyber Risk Insights Conference in London, England, May 11, 2022
- Panelist, “Claims in Focus: Managing a Vendor Breach,” Advisen’s 2020 Cyber Risk Insights Conference in San Francisco, February 12, 2020
- Panelist, “Internet of Things,” Old Library at Lloyd’s of London, England, October 12, 2016
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
- Constangy Cyber Advisor ,
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable Chief Justice Glenn Norton and Judge Richter, Missouri Court of Appeals, January 2006–May 2006.
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable Judge Michael Mihm, United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois, May 2005– August 2005.
Saint Louis University School of Law
- J.D., cum laude, 2007
- B.S. in Information Management and Technology; History, magna cum laude, 2004
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 2018
- New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York