Allen Sattler is a partner and vice chair of the Constangy Cyber Team. He is based in Orange County, California. He has significant experience serving clients as incident response counsel, having managed the responses to hundreds of data security incidents on behalf of businesses in all industry sectors. Allen also leads the team’s cybersecurity litigation services. Allen defends companies who face class action lawsuits resulting from data security incidents, and he defends companies against lawsuits concerning other alleged data privacy violations, including class actions resulting from a client’s use of website tracking technologies. Allen has ample experience working with digital forensic companies and regularly works with them to respond to cyber incidents and serve as expert witnesses in litigation.
As a result of his time spent on secondment with a major Lloyd's syndicate in 2013, Allen has a unique understanding of cyber insurance, and often advises cyber insurers on coverage matters. He is a featured speaker on cyber insurance, cyber risk mitigation, responding to ransomware attacks, and data privacy and security-related topics. Allen holds the Certified Information Privacy Professional for U.S. laws (CIPP/US) credential.
Allen attended Saint Louis University School of Law where he performed two judicial internships, one with a Missouri Court of Appeals judge and the other with a United States District Judge for the Central District of Illinois. He also served as an editor to the Saint Louis University School of Law Public Law Review, where he helped edit and publish articles by prominent authors including a United States Supreme Court Justice.
Professional & Civic Associations
- American Bar Association
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) for United States law (US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- Panelist, "Where Are We on the Ransomware Journey?” Advisen’s 2022 Cyber Risk Insights Conference in London, England, May 11, 2022
- Panelist, “Claims in Focus: Managing a Vendor Breach,” Advisen’s 2020 Cyber Risk Insights Conference in San Francisco, February 12, 2020
- Panelist, “Internet of Things,” Old Library at Lloyd’s of London, England, October 12, 2016
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
- Constangy Cyber Advisor ,
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable Chief Justice Glenn Norton and Judge Richter, Missouri Court of Appeals, January 2006–May 2006.
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable Judge Michael Mihm, United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois, May 2005– August 2005.
Saint Louis University School of Law
- J.D., cum laude, 2007
- B.S. in Information Management and Technology; History, magna cum laude, 2004
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 2018
- New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York