Richard is a vice chair of the Constangy Cyber Team and is based in Philadelphia. He has extensive experience managing responses to data privacy and security incidents with special expertise assisting clients with complex regulatory matters related to data security. Richard has managed all sizes and types of data security incidents, including matters affecting millions of consumers and spanning dozens of countries. As a former cyber attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice, Richard provides clients with more than 25 years of experience managing cyber matters. Richard is uniquely experienced in investigating and prosecuting cyber and intellectual property crime and aiding victims of those crimes, utilizing the knowledge gained from his time as one of the U.S. Department of Justice’s specially trained cybercrime prosecutors. While a cybercrime prosecutor, he served in multiple leadership positions within the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Philadelphia, one of the country’s largest federal prosecution offices.
Richard has extensive experience with crisis management, having served as chief attorney preparing federal, state, and local agencies for National Special Security Events (major public events of international significance considered by the government to be terrorism targets) and managing those events.
Throughout his career, Richard has been widely recognized for his leadership in the cybersecurity space. He served as chair of the NetDiligence International Cyber Risk Summit and is a frequent speaker on ransomware, cyber insurance, and the regulatory environment. He was a Fulbright Specialist for the U.S. Department of State, and twice received the Director’s Award, one of the highest awards bestowed upon Assistant U.S. Attorneys. He also received the Chief Postal Inspector’s Award and multiple commendations from federal agencies. He serves as an adjunct professor at Villanova Law School, teaching Legal Responses to Computer Crime.
Honors & Recognitions
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- U.S. Department of Justice, Director’s Award, 1998 & 2017
- Chief Postal Inspector’s Award, 2008
- Multiple performance commendations from the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Federal Executive Board, Director of the U.S. Secret Service, U.S. Postal Inspection Service, U.S. Marshals Service, National Park Service, and U.S. Attorney
- Harvard Law School – Wasserstein Public Interest Fellow, 2011
- Fulbright Senior Specialists Program, U.S. Department of State, Grantee in Law to City University of Hong Kong, 2011
Professional & Civic Associations
- Current Top Secret federal government security clearance.
- National Advocacy Center, U.S. Department of Justice (national school for federal prosecutors), Columbia, South Carolina – instructor in: Evidence, White Collar Crime, Advanced White Collar Crime, Trade Secrets, Computer Crimes, Basic and Advanced Trial.
- Advocacy, Financial Institution Fraud, Crisis Management, Sentencing, Public Demonstrations, and Identity Theft, 2007– 2018.
- Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, Pennsylvania, Lecturer in Law – Full semester lecture course: Legal Responses to Computer Crime, 2013–Present.
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- Panelist, "Update on Privacy Laws and Regulatory Oversight/Enforcement", 11th Annual Cyber Liability Insurance ExecuSummit, Uncasville, CT, March 21, 2023
- Moderator, “Cyber Insurance: Duckling or Swan,” PLUS Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, November 10, 2022
- Blog, “Wire Transfer Fraud – Can Funds Be Recovered?” September 20, 2022
- Panelist, “Ransomware Regulations,” Execusummit, Uncasville, CT, March 22, 2022
- Blog, “QR Codes – Consumer Convenience or Fraudulent Contrivance?” March 7, 2022
- Panelist, “Law Enforcement’s Impact on Cybercrime,” Advisen Cyber Risk Insights Conference, San Francisco, CA, February 17, 2022
- Conference presentation, “Cyber Insurance and Incident Response Sector Observations and Update,” FINCEN, U.S. Department of the Treasury, Washington, D.C., August 10, 2021
- Blog, “Legislative Alert, Enhanced Privacy Protections Signed Into Law in Connecticut,” July 21, 2021
- Moderator, “2020 Claims and Losses,” NetDiligence Cyber Risk Summit, Philadelphia, PA, July 14, 2021
- Panelist, “Rethinking the Cost of Data Recovery,” NetDiligence Response & Resilience Cyber Risk Summit, London, UK, November 19, 2020
- Conference presentation, “Setting the Stage: Lightning Round Industry Presentation on Ransomware Trends, Challenges, and Reporting,” FINCEN, U.S. Department of the Treasury, Washington, D.C., November 12, 2020
- Panelist, “Evolution of Ransomware Claims,” NetDiligence Cyber Risk Summit, Philadelphia, PA, July 1, 2020
- Blog, “Keeping the Creeps Off Your Computer: Tips to Avoid Scareware & Scare Scams,” October 29, 2019
- Panelist, "Legal Considerations for Ransomware," FBI 2019 Ransomware Summit, Pittsburgh, PA, September 12, 2019
- Blog, “Shutting Down the Factory: Why the Manufacturing Sector Must Pay More Attention to Cyber Attackers,” July 23, 2019
- Panelist, "Public-Private Sector Threat Intelligence," NetDiligence Cyber Risk Summit, Philadelphia, PA, June 14, 2019
- Panelist, "Cracking the Cyber Code on War & Extortion Coverage," Advisen Cyber Risk Insights Conference, Chicago, IL, May 16, 2019
- Speaker, “Crisis Preparation and Response,” United States Federal Reserve System Conference of Counsel, Philadelphia, PA, May 2, 2019
- Blog, “The Financial Fraud Kill Chain: Combatting Fraudulent Money Transfers,” April 2, 2019
- Panelist, “CyberCrime Trends,” 8th Annual Cyber Liabilities Insurance ExecuSummit, March 19, 2019
- Blog, “Massachusetts Amends Data Breach Law Notice Requirements,” January 24, 2019
- Blog, “Modlishka – Exploiting Two-Factor Authentication,” January 22, 2019
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Crisis Management
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C.
- J.D., 1983
- Articles and Notes Editor, American Criminal Law Review
- Appellate Litigation Clinic
Brown University, Providence, RI
- B.A., History, with honors, 1980
Bar & Court Admissions
- Pennsylvania, 1983