Donna is a partner in Constangy’s Portland office and a member of the Constangy Cyber Team. Donna evaluates the severity of potential data security incidents, such as ransomware attacks, company email compromise, and other unauthorized breaches, that clients may be experiencing. In the event that forensic or remediation services are needed to contain, evaluate, investigate, and remedy the problem, she makes those connections. Clients rely on Donna to evaluate their consumer and regulatory notification requirements under state, federal, and international law, and she then assists with external communications including consumer or employee notifications, regulatory reporting, and media holding statements. Donna also assists clients with all stages of state and federal regulatory investigations.
Donna previously served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office (USAO) for the District of Oregon. Her responsibilities in this position included prosecuting cases involving wire fraud, healthcare fraud, and money laundering. She frequently oversaw investigations involving multiple departments and agencies, including the FBI, the IRS, and the Department of Health and Human Services.
Prior to her time as a federal prosecutor, Donna served as an Assistant Attorney General for the Attorney General’s Office of the Oregon Department of Justice (ODOJ). During her ten years with ODOJ, she worked closely with state regulatory agencies to prosecute white-collar and regulatory crimes across Oregon, including Medicaid Fraud.
Donna currently shares the role of President of the Financial Crimes and Digital Evidence Foundation (FCDEF) with Sean Hoar. The FCDEF is a non-profit organization that organizes annual training and networking opportunities for professionals who fight fraud and cybercrime. Additionally, she previously served as the chair of the Oregon State Bar's Criminal Law Section and is currently a member of the executive board of the Owen M. Panner American Inn of Court.
Honors & Recognitions
- Lewis and Clark Law School Andrea Swanner Reading Outstanding Mentor Award, 2010 - 2011
- Daily Journal of Commerce: Up & Coming Lawyer, Leaders Award, November 2010
- Lewis and Clark Law School Women and the Law Distinguished Speakers Series, Panelist, April 2009
- Oregon DOJ Outstanding Service Award, July 2005 Cornelius Honor Society, Lewis and Clark Law School
Professional & Civic Associations
- Owen Panner Inns of Court, 2010 – present
- Executive Committee member, 2017 – present
- President, Financial Crimes and Digital Evidence Foundation, 2010- present
- Member, Oregon Women Lawyers, 2003 – present
- Oregon Bar Association, 2002 – present
- Current - Executive Board Member, Owen Panner Inn of Court
- Past Chair, Oregon State Bar Criminal Law Section
- Previously served as an elected member of the Tualatin City Council
- National Civilian Community Corps/AmeriCorps, first year class member (1994) and Alumni engagement
- Instructor, Elder Fraud investigation, Discovery Practices, National Advocacy Center, U.S. Department of Justice (national school for federal prosecutors), Columbia, South Carolina, 2017 - 2019
- Mentor, Lewis and Clark Law School Student Mentor Program, 2003 - 2018
News & Analysis
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- Speaker, Hacking Humans: Social Engineering, Wire, and Bank Fraud Trends, Financial Crimes and Digital Evidence Conference, September 2022
- Speaker, Give Us This Day: From State Investigation through Federal Criminal Trial, Financial Crimes and Digital Evidence Conference, September 2019
- Speaker, Opioids: Prevention, Enforcement, & Treatment, Queen’s Bench Monthly Speaker Series, June 2019
- Speaker, Elder Justice, Queen’s Bench Monthly Speaker Series, April 2019
- Speaker, Ethics Jeopardy, Oregon District Attorneys Association Summer Conference, July 2017 & Oregon Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Conference, June 2018
- Speaker, Maximizing the Criminal Prosecutor & Victim Attorney Relationship: Lessons Learned from a Complex Financial Exploitation Case, National Crime Victims Bar Association National Conference, December 2017
- Speaker, Sociopathic Fraudsters: A Tale of Two Con Men, Financial Crimes and Digital Evidence Conference, September 2017
- Maddux, Donna & Luse, Susanne (May 2020). Don’t Let Discovery Keep You Awake at Night: Best Practices for Assistant United States Attorney, Department of Justice Journal of Federal Law & Practice. Vol. 68 (3), p.27-46.
- 20/20: The Sweetheart Swindle (Episode aired May 29, 2015). Season 38, Episode 34. ABC.
- American Greed: Psychic Fiend’s Network (Episode aired May 12, 2016). Season 10, Episode 5. CNBC.
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
- Constangy Cyber Advisor ,
- Constangy Cyber Advisor ,
Lewis and Clark Law School
- J.D., 2002
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Master of Arts, Higher Education Administration, 1994
West Chester University
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science/Public Administration, 1992
Bar & Court Admissions
- Oregon, 2002