Katie primarily focuses her practice on employment litigation, and is experienced in representing employers in all aspects of employment law matters before federal and state courts, as well as mediation, arbitration, and other proceedings before administrative agencies. She has successfully represented clients in both single and multi-plaintiff matters involving claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, and wage and hour violations.
Before joining Constangy, Katie began her legal career at a plaintiffs’ firm in St. Louis representing employees before federal and state courts and administrative agencies. Her unique insight from her experience as a plaintiff’s attorney allows Katie to provide comprehensive and thorough advice to employers, and assist with proactively addressing employee issues.
Honors & Recognitions
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch" for Labor and Employment Law - Management and Litigation - Labor and Employment (2024)
- Rising Star, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® (2018 - 2021)
Professional & Civic Associations
- Missouri Bar Association
- St. Louis County Bar Association
- The Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater St. Louis
Katie enjoys spending time with her husband and two dogs. Some of her favorite activities include traveling, reading, visiting local wineries and breweries, and watching Harry Potter. Katie also has a passion for philanthropy including St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Partners4Pets, and the American Heart Association.
Katie has represented employers in a variety of matters throughout the Midwest including Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, and Missouri. Recent highlights include:
- Representing major U.S. Transportation employer in class action alleging disability discrimination, failure-to-accommodate and impermissible medical inquiry under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Obtained dismissal of failure-to-accommodate claim before close of discovery and obtained summary judgment on all remaining claims (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, 2019 – present).
- Representing major U.S. transportation employer in class action alleging disability discrimination in hiring under the Missouri Human Rights Act. Employee abandoned class allegations during discovery (U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri, 2019-present).
- Representing major U.S. transportation employer in class action alleging disability discrimination and failure-to-accommodate under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Obtained dismissal of untimely class and pattern-and-practice claims (U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2020-present).
- Representing major U.S. transportation employer in class action alleging disability discrimination and failure-to-accommodate under the Americans with Disabilities Act (U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2020-present).
- Representing national medical staffing employer in action alleging various breach of contract claims, wage and hour violations, wrongful discharge in violation of public policy, retaliation, and negligence. Obtained dismissal and order compelling action to arbitration (U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri, 2020-present).
- Represented client in breach of contract action alleging violations of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements. Obtained voluntary dismissal with prejudice after moving to dismiss all claims and conducting preliminary discovery (Illinois, 2019).
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
- St. Louis Quarterly Breakfast Briefing - Gender Benders: Preventing & Defending Sex-Based Claims in the Workplace -7733 Forsyth Blvd. Second Floor, Conference Room A St. Louis, Missouri 63105
Speaking Engagements & Industry Publications
- “Millennials in the Workplace,” Roundtable discussion for SHRM of Greater St. Louis’ Annual Legal Update, February 2020
- “Cutting Through the Haze of Amendment 2,” Presentation for SHRM of Southeast Missouri and the Cape Area Personnel Association, November 2019
- “In Praise of Training: Why You Need to Spend the Time (and Money) to Train Your Employees,” Tire Review (co-author), September 2019
- “Tattoos, Piercings and Telecommuting, Oh My!,” Tire Review (co-author), June 2019
- “Navigating the Bermuda Triangle of FMLA, ADA, and Worker's Compensation: Intermittent Leave, the Interactive Process, and More,” Presentation for SHRM of Greater St. Louis’ Annual Legal Update (co-presenter), February 2019
- "Current Topics in Employment Law," Seminar for SHRM of Southeast Missouri (co-presenter), November 2018
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
- Employment & Labor Insider,
- "If you truly pour your heart into what you believe in, even if it makes you vulnerable, amazing things can and will happen."
- Emma Watson
- Defense of EEOC, MCHR, and IDHR Charges
- Defense of Employment Litigation
- Sexual Harassment Investigations and Defense
Saint Louis University School of Law
- J.D., cum laude, 2016
Eastern Illinois University
- B.S., magna cum laude, Psychology, 2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- Missouri, 2016
- Illinois, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska