Sal is a seasoned litigator with over 25 years of experience in labor and employment law with an emphasis on wage and hour compliance and litigation. As part of his practice, he has handled multilayered misclassification class actions; counseled Fortune 500 companies and trade associations on complex wage hour matters; successfully defended government contractors in debarment proceedings; and defended employers against allegations of discrimination, sexual and racial harassment, whistle blowing and retaliation. Sal also conducts cost-effective audits that provide practical business-oriented solutions to assist companies in avoiding substantial liability while still achieving their business goals.
Early in his career he was a trial attorney at the U.S. Department of Labor where he won several Secretary exceptional achievement awards for successfully litigating complex wage hour matters and was the youngest attorney at that time to win attorney of the year.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers® (2020-2023)
- Chambers USA, 2022
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2016-2022
- Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyers, 2021, 2022
- Lawdragon 40 Up and Comers in Corporate Employment Law, 2017-2018
Professional & Civic Associations
- American Bar Association (Member, Labor & Employment Section, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee)
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Member, Amicus Committee)
- Somerset County Bar Foundation (Board Member)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (Benjamin Aranda Lifetime Member)
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Model Civil Jury (Appointee, Model Civil Jury Charges Committee)
- New Jersey Supreme Court Ethics Committee (Appointee, District VC Ethics Committee)
- New Jersey State Bar Foundation (Member, Program Development Committee)
- New Jersey Supreme Court Model Civil Jury Charge Committee, Employment Law Subcommittee, 2011-2012
- Lead trial counsel for a national motor carrier in a FLSA collective action involving the misclassification of owner operators as independent contractors.
- Oversaw a full wage hour audit for a Fortune 100 company that included reviewing classifications of exempt employees and independent contractors; time and attendance /payroll systems; and policies and training materials.
- Completed a complex analysis of payroll records to defend a client in a complex pay equity class action alleging discrimination against certain protected classes.
- Represented a corporation in a reverse discrimination matter based on the company's diversity and inclusion policies.
- J.D., 1997
Seton Hall University
- B.A., 1994
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia, 2007
- New Jersey, 1997
- New York, 1998
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- Portuguese (fluent)