Bill represents and defends plan sponsors and employee benefit plans in connection with claims for denial of benefits, breach of fiduciary duty, and other miscellaneous relief under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). He is Co-Chair of Constangy’s ERISA Litigation Practice Group and also teaches Employee Benefits & Pension Law (a course he created) at Wake Forest University School of Law, where he has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law since 2010.
Stemming from his unique accounting and philosophy undergraduate background, Bill takes an analytical approach to simplifying issues in cases that he handles, even drawing inspiration from some of his hobbies, including chess and Sherlock Holmes. In an era when very few cases actually go to trial, Bill nonetheless has significant trial experience, having represented clients in bench and jury trials in state and federal courts, including the United States Tax Court. This trial experience allows Bill to evaluate and handle a lawsuit working backwards from trial to focus at the very outset of a case on what witnesses and documents are important.
Honors & Recognitions
- Emerging Legal Leader Finalist, North Carolina Lawyers Weekly
- Legal Elite, North Carolina
- Legal Elite, Business North Carolina "Young Guns" category of best attorneys under age 40
- Rising Star, North Carolina Super Lawyers®
- Best Lawyers in America® (2006-2022)
Professional & Civic Associations
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Kaleideum, Board Member
- Catalyst Church – Greensboro, NC
- NC Business, 1.8.18
Bill loves spending time with his wife, Amy, and daughters, Carolyn, Julie, and Charlotte. He is a serious runner, and enjoys training for all events ranging from sprints to ultra marathons. When he is not thinking about cases, he’s probably thinking about what new Magic: The Gathering deck to build. Bill is also an avid fan of Major League and Minor League Baseball, with the New York Yankees being his favorite team.
News & Analysis
Client Presentations & Firm Publications
Blogs, Videos & Podcasts
- 9.8.21This is a two-part series where we are doing a deep dive into noncompete agreements and traps for the unwary. Noncompete agreements have a reputation for being technical, but what is it exactly that makes them so tricky? Join host Bill McMahon and guest Ken Carlson as they cover the most common drafting and enforcement traps with noncompete agreements and the best ways to avoid them.